Connect with us

General news

Truck crushes 3 persons to death in Ogun

Published

on

Accident

Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi, the Spokesman for Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Abeokuta on Thursday.

Akinbiyi explained that the accident which occurred in the evening, involved a Honda car marked NPK 186 PM, Toyota Corolla marked FST 04 ER and a truck with registration number KJA 931 XH.

“The Honda car inbound Sagamu had tyre burst,  lost control and veered to the other side of the road, hitting the oncoming Toyota Corolla inbound Abeokuta .

“However, the truck that was behind the Toyota car in an attempt to avoid hitting other vehicles from behind veered into the bush and in the process hit three onlookers who were standing by the road side, killing them on the spot.

“Six people were involved in the accident, three male adults and three female adults. Three persons were killed while three others were injured,’’ he said.

Akinbiyi noted that the accident vehicles were taken to Ibara Divisional Police Office, while the driver of the truck had also been arrested.

He said that the injured were taken to Federal Medical Centre (FMC), while the corpses of the deceased had been deposited at the General Hospital, Ijaye in Abeokuta.

Reacting to the accident, Mr Clement Oladele, the state Sector Commander, urged motorists to obey advice given to them by its rescue team in order to avoid unnecessary loss of lives.

Oladele told NNN in Ota, Ogun that the truck driver had earlier been flagged down by the rescue operation’s team.

The sector commander said that the advice became necessary for the motoring public because such an accident scene could be dangerous and sometime could lead to other accidents if necessary prevention was not taken.

According to him, the team was trying to rescue victims from a fatal accident while this speeding truck was flagged down but refused to stop and rammed into the accident victims.

“The incident was unfortunate and FRSC condoles with the families of the victims.

“I pray that the Lord will grant the families the fortitude to bear the loss and grant the deceased eternal rest,’’ Oladele said.

He said that legal proceedings would commence against the reckless driver.

Oladele, however, warned motorists to desist from disobeying rescue operation team’s advice in order not to face the wrath of the laws.

General news

Niger govt. says N1.4bn for 5-star hotel project intact

Published

on

The Niger state government says the N1.4 billion for the five star hotel project in Minna, the state capital is intact.

Mrs Mary Berje, the Chief Press Secretary to Gov. Abubakar Bello of Niger, made this known in a statement on Tuesday in Minna.

She said that the money was still in the Zenith Bank account, adding that it was not given to any contractor to commence work.

The ruling All Progressive Congress and main opposition People Democratic Party in Niger have disagreed recently over the N1.4 billion meant for the abandoned project.

The opposition party alleged that it left the money in an account for the continuation of the project.

The immediate past governor of the state, Dr Babangida Aliyu made this known during his 65th birthday celebration in Minna when he accused the APC government of misappropriating the fund.

Aliyu told friends, associates and party stakeholders in Minna that he left the money in an Escro account at the Minna branch of Zenith Bank.

According to him: “To my surprise, the contractor was invited by the government and given the whole amount. After two months he disappeared from site and has not returned to finish the job.”

Berje described the allegation as misleading and an attempt to win the sympathy of his “dying PDP” ahead of the forthcoming local government elections.

She said: “The present administration has not released any money to any contractor as alleged by the former governor.”

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz

Continue Reading

General news

Police urges Zamfara Govt. to close down markets trading in rustled cattle

Published

on

The Zamfara Police Command says it will advise the state government to close down some identified markets in the state where rustled cows are being sold.

The State Commissioner of Police (CP), Alhaji Usman Nagogo, disclosed this on Tuesday in Gusau while meeting with the leaders of Miyetti-Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) and other stakeholders in the state.

Nagogo noted that the measure became necessary considering the increase in cattle rustling activities in the state.

“We learnt there are some identified markets where rustled animals, especially cows, are being sold; we consider this as a big threat to security activities in the state,” he said.

The state, he said, had recorded various successes in tackling insecurity through peaceful dialogue.

“Despite the measures taken by the state government, it is still facing serious increase in cattle rustling activities.

“We consider these markets as major factors fueling cattle rustling activities in the state; hence we have invited stakeholders for this meeting to discuss the problem and find solutions.

“We are going to brief  the state government about this meeting, then we will advise for the closure  of those identified markets,” he said.

Nigeria News Agency reports that the meeting was attended by the leaders of MACBAN, Butchers Association and Cattle Dealers Association among others.

Chairman, Miyetti-Allah in Zamfara, Umar Aliyu, commended the CP for inviting them for the meeting.

Aliyu, who lamented  the increase of cattle rustling in the state, called on the stakeholders to support and cooperate with government on the peace initiatives.

In his remark, the Sarkin-Fawa of Gusau, Alhaji Malami Sarkin Fawa, assured the continued support and cooperation of all butchers in ensuring peace and stability in the state.

He urged the police command to investigate the leadership crisis in the Cattle Dealers Association in the state.

Edited by Moses Solanke/Maharazu Ahmed

Continue Reading

General news

Ondo govt. promotes 9,704 public servants

Published

on

The Ondo State government has announced the promotion of 9,704 public servants in the recently-concluded 2019 promotion exercise.

The Chairman of the state Civil Service Commission, Mr Afolabi Adewakun, who stated this on Tuesday, in Akure, added that three civil engineers at the state Ministry of Works and Infrastructure were given special promotion for their outstanding performance.

Adewakun said that the promotion exercise was part of Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu’s commitment to the welfare of civil servants in the state.

He said that a total of 2,261 deserving civil servants were promoted, based on the briefs forwarded to the commission by the service matters department, office of establishment and training, various ministries and extra-ministerial departments.

Adewakun said that same exercise also took place in all self-accounting government agencies, boards and parastatals, where 7,443 officers were promoted.

He further stated that 190 officers across various the civil service cadres had been given approval to retire either mandatorily or voluntarily after serving the state.

The chairman said that promotion was never automatic, as being insinuated in some quarters, adding that only deserving officers benefitted from the exercise.

“I wish to remark that the welfare of workers has continued to be on the front burner since the inception of this administration in Feb. 2017.

“And that training and retraining programmes have engendered higher productivity, leading to better service delivery for the people of the state.

“In the light of his worker-friendly disposition, Gov. Akeredolu graciously approved the special promotion of one grade level credit for three (3) deserving civil engineers at the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure for carrying out extensive cost-saving road rehabilitation works across the state.

“This is an indication that any outstanding performance will not go unnoticed and unrewarded by government.

“In line with other statutory functions of the commission, five prospective applicants were recruited into areas of special needs, as approved by the governor; they have since resumed duties,” he said.

Adewakun added that some officers were not considered for promotion due to issues bordering on discipline, like financial embarrassment, prolonged absence from duty without official permission and general misconducts.

“Sanctions such as reprimand, written warning and downgrading have been meted on erring officers. Some officers have also been placed on suspension, pending the final determination of their cases,” he said.

Adewakun urged the newly-promoted officers to reciprocate the gesture by being more productive, dedicated, diligent and absolutely loyal to the service.

Edited by Ariwodola Idowu and ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

General news

Akeredolu appoints 4 aides

Published

on

Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State on Tuesday approved the appointments of Ebenezer Adekusibe, Lulu Fawehinmi, Clement Dada, as senior special assistants and Peace Odili as special assistant to the governor.

Mr Olusegun Ajiboye, Chief Press Secretary to the governor, disclosed this in a statement made available to newsmen in Akure.

Ajiboye said the appointments were with immediate effect.

Nigeria News Agency reports that Adekusibe was made Senior Special Assistant on Finance while Fawehinmi was appointed as Senior Special Assistant to the governor on Strategy/Communication.

Similarly, Dada was enlisted as Senior Special Assistant on Mobilisation and Odili made Special Assistant on Public Procurement.

The new appointees were charged to see their appointments as a challenge to contribute their quota to the development of the state.

“The governor wishes them success in their respective assignments,” Ajiboye said.

Edited by Martins Odeh/Donald Ugwu

Continue Reading

General news

NEPC urges companies to certify their products before export

Published

on

NEPC urges companies to certify their products before export

Products

Kano,Nov. 19, 2019 The Nigerian Export Promotion council (NEPC) has urged Kano based manufacturing companies to certify their products before processing them for export.

NEPC Executive Director, Mr Olusegun Awolowo disclosed this in Kano on Tuesday during awareness training with the theme: Go Global, Go for Certification Initiative to enhance global market access for Nigerian exportable products.

Awolowo, represented by Director, Product Development, Mr William Ezeago said the certification was a framework for quality assurance in production.

“Penetrating international market for processed and value added products, particularly food items requires additional voluntary certification to enable the product access competitive overseas market.

“The global market is highly competitive, therefore exportable food products must strive to acquire additional non mandatory certification to enable them compete favourably in the International Market.

”In an effort to ensure the success of this initiative, the council engaged a reputable certification expert, Topcertifier, based in Bangalore, India to provide certification awareness to our manufactures and producers,” he said.

Awolowo said that the training will enable them embrace fully the basic rudiments of products and process certification through a conformity assessment body, as well as ease global market entry for their products, thereby boosting Nigeria’s non- oil export portfolio.

In his remarks, Mr Vinay Kumar the CEO of Topcertifier said the training will help manufacturers to produce quality goods for the International Market.

One of the participant, Hajiya Aisha Mustapha, expressed appreciation for the training and promised to put what she learned to practice.

BO/

Edited by Saidu Adamu/Ali Baba-Inuwa

Continue Reading

General news

Chinese company donates to Orphanage in Bauchi

Published

on

Chinese company donates to Orphanage in Bauchi

Donation

Bauchi, Nov. 19, 2019 A Chinese company, KEDI Healthcare, on Tuesday donated learning and feeding materials worth millions of naira to Bauchi state Orphans and Vulnerable Children Agency (BASOVCA) to alleviate the sufferings of children in the orphanage.

Mr Anthony Yongo, Manger, KEDI Healthcare in Bauchi, said that the donation was part of an outreach by the healthcare and a deliberate effort to contribute towards providing basic education to children in the state.

According to him, the gesture is part of the annual social responsibility programmes of the organisation for children in the state.

“This year we selected the orphanage home to provide orphans with incentives such as learning and feeding items.

Mrs Hassana Arkila, Chairperson, BASOVCA, commended the organisation for the gesture, describing it as a great move to bring succour to the orphanage.

She said that the learning materials would compliment government’s efforts in providing basic education for the children.

The officer commended KEDI Healthcare for identifying with them by bringing donations and describing it as a great service not only to the children but to the immediate society and humanity in general.

Arkila said that the present administration was focused on giving adequate education and care to the orphanage to ensure that the children were well placed in the society.

She said Bauchi State Government had launched a Strategic Development Plan (SDP) for Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) activities in the state to ensure a better future for them.

AE/

Edited by Hawa lawal/Donald Ugwu

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG