Following the public testimony of nine witness in the ongoing impeachment inquiry, President Donald Trump said he wanted a trial and sounded convinced he would walk away vindicated.
“I think it’s very hard for them to impeach you if they have absolutely nothing,” Trump said as part of a phone-in interview with Fox News on Friday.
“I want a trial,” the president said suddenly, but declined to answer follow up questions on this comment.
The president spent a large chunk of his nearly one-hour interview bashing several key witnesses and claiming he did not know others, even Gordon Sondland.
Sondland donated 1 million dollars to Trump’s political campaign and then became ambassador to the EU.
Trump slammed Adam Schiff, the Democratic lawmaker leading the inquiry, as “corrupt,” “shifty,” and a “nut job.”
He accused Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi of being “crazy as a bedbug.”
The president also seemed hurt the ousted ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, had allegedly declined to hang his picture at the embassy in Kiev. “This was not an angel, this woman,” he said.
Even as his role becomes ever more controversial in the Ukraine affair, Trump defended his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, calling him a “great crime fighter” as he explained why he used a private envoy to conduct diplomacy with Ukraine.
Giuliani’s own statements as well as the testimonies from multiple witnesses have shown that he was keen for Ukraine to investigate Trump’s political rival Joe Biden.
The president is accused of abusing his power to get a foreign government to dig up dirt on his domestic political competitor.
(Edited By: Fatima Sule/Emmanuel Yashim)
- 30 ships with petroleum products, food items expected in Lagos — NPA
- DPR seals 56 petrol stations in C/River for sharp practices
- South-South Zonal FRSC warns personnel against extorting motorists
- Be alert to signs of Charcoal Anthrax in livestocks- LASG
- Security: Olomu seeks constitutional roles for monarchs
- Oil prices fall as U.S. crude stocks jump
- Butcher in court for allegedly stealing cell phone at `knife point’
- Man remanded in Kirikiri for allegedly robbing occupants of N 2.2m valuables
- Senate mandates committee to investigate issues on foreign vessels
- Strike: MDCAN decries exit of 45 medical personnel of COOUTH
- Commission dissatisfied with work at $1.5b Ede power substation
- UNICEF to train stakeholders on child protection issues in Kaduna – official
- Food Security: APPEALS reiterates commitment to supporting FG enhance agricultural productivity
- Reps to investigate alleged corruption in NUC in universities’ accreditation
- UN declares 2020 as international year of plant health – IITA
- Over 279 erosion sites in Abia receiving attention – NEWMAP
- NGO empowers 500 people living with disabilities in ICT skills- Sanwo-Olu’s wife
- NIS tasks stakeholders to curb smuggling of migrants, trafficking
- FRC blames AMCON for delaying 215mw power project in Kaduna
- Nigerians trust social media more than television, radio for corruption information – SERAP
- Community policing: Collaboration between traditional, state authorities most imperative—Buhari
- Uber, Bolt, others not banned at airports – FAAN
- Court remands 4 suspects in custody for allegedly trading in human parts
- NIMC extends Diaspora enrollment to Togo, Niger, Ireland, Chicago
- Buhari shows commitment to fight against corruption-Sen. Utazi
- Punch and its sinister motives for attacks on President Buhari, by Garba Shehu
- Lack of inter-connectivity, bane of nation’s transportation sector — Expert
- Man bags 2 months jail term for stealing mobile phone
- Expert urges new FIRS boss to improve IT for tax expansion
- China encourages whistleblowing to improve market regulation
- Aswan Forum: Peace remains key to achieving rapid development in Africa – Buhari
- NDIC urges banks, stakeholders to address financial inclusion challenges
- Austrian top court revokes sweeping electronic surveillance laws
- Gov. Matawalle assigns portfolios to new cabinet members
- UNESCO classifies 4 traditional practices as endangered
- Group urges FG to regularly wage war against treasury looters
- NGO sensitises Zamfara women on need for participating in governance
- 32 students bag first class as Crawford varsity holds 11th convocation
- ITF trains over 300,000 youths in various skills in 6 years – Official
- French government exempts people born before 1975 from pension reform
- Sexagenarian arraigned for allegedly stealing 2 children
- Book on Nanjing Massacre survivor’s life published
- High-speed railway linking Beijing and Inner Mongolia in trial operation
- Housewife wants court to divorce marriage over lack of care
- Unemployed man gets N300, 000 bail for alleged impersonation
- Dry season: Farmers renew call for early distribution of inputs
- Group calls for end to electoral violence against women, girls
- NGO inaugurates campaign against jungle justice
- Expert harps on improving tourism sector
- Traditional rulers pledge support for Niger urban policy