Connect with us

Foreign

Tunisian court orders release of jailed presidential candidate

Published

on

Tunisia’s top appeals court has ordered the release of jailed presidential candidate Nabil Karoui on Wednesday, four days ahead of the run-off vote, a source in his campaign said.


Karoui was arrested on Aug. 23 on charges of money laundering and tax evasion. He has not been convicted.


The media magnate came second in the first round of Tunisia’s presidential elections in September with 15.58 per cent of the vote against 18.4 per cent for his rival, independent law professor Kais Saied.


Karoui, 56, is expected to leave prison later on Wednesday, the source added.


At least three courts have rejected the campaign’s appeals for his release since his arrest.


Wednesday’s decision comes one day after the campaign called for postponing the run-off vote, to be held on Oct. 13, until he is released from prison.


They said elections should be postponed since Karoui has not been able to campaign across Tunisia or hold direct interviews with the media.


Since the first round, Karoui has been absent from campaigning and TV debates.


His detention casts doubts on the results of the election, as it denies him an equal opportunity in campaigning.


Tunisia, the birthplace of the Arab Spring revolts, is widely seen as the sole democratic success story of the 2010-11 uprisings.


Presidential elections were originally scheduled for November, but were held earlier after Tunisia’s first democratically elected president, Beji Caid Essebsi, died in July, five months before the end of his term.


FAT/YEE

(Edited by Fatima Sule/Emmanuel Yashim)

Foreign

Iran warns of strong response to fuel price protests

Published

on

Nationwide protests in Iran against fuel price rises have resulted in more than 40 arrests and one police officer reportedly killed, as Iranian authorities warned of a strong response.

Protesters took to the streets of key cities across the country on Saturday in response to moves by the government to ration fuel and increase the price of petrol.

Iran’s government, caught in the midst of a deep economic crisis triggered by the U.S. sanctions, announced it was raising fuel prices late on Friday.

Now faced with paying three times as much in fuel costs, many Iranians have called for an immediate repeal of the price hike, amid fears of a deepening economic crisis and a halving in the value of the national currency.

News agency ISNA reported on Sunday that a police officer was killed during clashes between security forces and protesters in the western city of Kermanshah.

The Iranian secret service said it would take strong action against protesters taking part in vandalism.

State news agency IRNA cited the Intelligence Ministry as saying that it would “spare no efforts” in its efforts to safeguard national security.

The attorney general issued a similar warning to demonstrators on Saturday in comments carried by ISNA.

“The instigators are undoubtedly being directed from abroad and their actions are illegal and criminal,’’ Attorney General, Mohammad Jafar Montazeri, said.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei defended the rationing and price rises.

“The political leadership of the country reached a technical decision, which should logically be then put into practice,’’ he said.

He added, however, that “authorities should use all their capacities to minimise people’s concerns over this (gasoline rationing) plan,’’ according to Mehr news agency.

Internet services have been unavailable for many since protests escalated on Saturday evening.

The Telecommunications Ministry said that online access had been “limited” for 24 hours on the orders of the National Security Council.

The Iranian parliament was holding a special sitting on Sunday to discuss the protests, but media reports suggest that the government has refused to delay the price rises.

According to the plan, Iranians will only be able to refuel only up to 60 litres of petrol per month at a litre price equivalent to 0.13 dollars.

Additional petrol incurs a higher price of between 24 and 30 cents, nearly the triple the previous price.

Many Iranians, who say 60 litres per month will not be enough, are, therefore, now faced with paying a higher petrol price.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

Crisis-swept Lebanon in gridlock after Safadi withdrawal

Published

on

Lebanon slipped deeper into political crisis on Sunday after the withdrawal of a top candidate for prime minister narrowed the chances of creating a government needed to enact urgent reforms.

Mohammad Safadi, a former finance minister, withdrew his candidature late on Saturday, saying it was too difficult to form a “harmonious” government with broad political support.

Safadi was the first candidate, who had appeared to win some consensus among Lebanon’s fractious sectarian-based parties since Hariri quit as prime minister on Oct. 29, pushed out by sweeping protests against the ruling elite.

Faced by the worst financial strains since its 1975-1990 civil war, Lebanon has pledged to carry out urgent reforms it hopes will convince donors to disburse some $11 billion pledged at a conference last year.

The unrest has kept banks shut for most of the last month.

They have imposed controls on transfers abroad and U.S. dollar withdrawals, and the pegged Lebanese pound is under pressure on an informal market.

Safadi became the presumed front-runner for prime minister after a meeting between Hariri, a Sunni politician, and Shi’ite groups Hezbollah and Amal, according to political sources and Lebanese media.

But no political force later endorsed him.

Lebanon’s prime minister must be a Sunni Muslim, according to its sectarian power-sharing system.

Protesters, who have filled Lebanon’s streets since Oct. 17, denounced the choice of Safadi, a prominent businessman and long-time politician they said was part of the elite they sought to oust.

“We are in a deadlock now.

“I don’t know when it will move again; it is not easy,’’ said a senior political source.

“The financial situation doesn’t tolerate any delay.’’

A second political source described efforts to form a new government as “back to square one”.

Safadi’s withdrawal leaves the powerful, Iran-backed Hezbollah and its allies with even fewer options unless they push for a close Sunni ally, a scenario that would likely reduce the chances of Lebanon winning international support.

Hezbollah is classified as a terrorist group by the U.S.

Hezbollah and Amal, along with President Michel Aoun, a Maronite Christian, have sought for Hariri to return as premier but have demanded the inclusion of both technocrats and politicians in the new cabinet.

But Hariri, who is aligned with Gulf Arab states and the West, has said he will only return as prime minister if he is able to form a cabinet composed entirely of specialists capable of attracting the international support.

Global rating agency S&P flashed the latest warning on Lebanon’s debt-saddled economy on Friday, lowering its foreign and local currency sovereign credit ratings deeper into junk territory to ‘CCC/C’ from ‘B-/B’.

S&P cited rising pressure on central bank foreign currency reserves and diminished depositor confidence brought on by the bank closures and reported restrictions on hard currency movement.

Lebanon’s bank staff union said it would meet on Sunday or Monday to decide whether to call off a strike after receiving a security plan to keep branches safe and potentially re-open banks as early as Monday.

AIB

Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde

Continue Reading

Foreign

2 suspects arrested for planning to attack French president – Report

Published

on

Two men close to the ultra-right were indicted for “terrorist criminal conspiracy” and placed in pre-trial detention, as part of the investigation of a bombing project against French President Emmanuel Macron.

Franceinfo, a French domestic rolling news channel, reported this on Saturday.

The two suspects, aged 30 and 45 respectively, were believed to have planned an action against President Macron during the commemoration of the centenary of the end of the First World War, in Nov. 2018, said Franceinfo quoting a Parisian judicial source.

The two were arrested Monday in Moselle, northeastern France.

They had been presented to an examining magistrate for their indictment.

The national anti-terrorist prosecutor’s office had requested their detention on remand. (Xinhua/NAN)

YEE

(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Yellow Vest anniversary protests: More than 20 subway stations closed in Paris

Published

on

More than 20 subway and express train (RER) stations were shut down in Paris on Saturday morning in the run-up to protests as the yellow vest movement marks its first anniversary this weekend.

The movement plans large-scale weekend protests, including those unauthorised, across France.

“On Saturday, Nov. 6, by order of the police prefecture, starting from 7:00 a.m. (6:00 GMT), some stations/transport hubs are closed to the public in the run-up to numerous demonstrations in public places,” public transport company RATP said in a statement.

In particular, the stations near Champs-Elysees – a traditional venue for protests – will be closed.

The stations near the Eiffel Tower, the Place de la Concorde and the National Assembly will also be shut down.

The train services on metro lines 2 and 6 will be completely suspended.

In addition, more than 50 bus routes will also be affected, with the routes either shortened or changed to avoid blocked streets.

The planned time when the transport services will return to normal is not reported.

The wave of the yellow vest rallies started in France on Nov. 17, 2018.

The protests were initially triggered by the government’s intention to increase fuel taxes.

Even though the authorities abandoned the plan and introduced a set of measures to improve the socio-economic situation, protesters continue to take to the streets across France every weekend to express their wider discontent with the government’s policies. (Sputnik/NAN)
YEE

(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Ankara confirms it will activate Russia’s S-400s in spite of U.S. sanctions threats

Published

on

Ankara intends to activate the Russian-made S-400s despite the threat of U.S. sanctions, with only Turkish personnel planned to be involved in operating these air defense systems.

The head of the country’s Defense Industries Directorate made this known to СNN Turk after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s visit to Washington.

During talks with Erdogan on Wednesday, President Donald Trump said Turkey’s S-400 acquisition “creates some very serious challenges for us”.

He noted that the two leaders had tasked their national security advisers with working on resolving the matter.

Two days later, Turkey announced that it had begun work on a joint “mechanism” with the U.S. to evaluate a potential effect of the purchase on the country’s participation in the U.S. F-35 multirole fighter programme.

“It is illogical to buy S-400s and not use them.

“Russian personnel will not be involved in operating them, these systems do not pose a threat to NATO,” Ismail Demir said.

He added that Turkey sought to resolve the differences with the U.S. over the S-400s, reiterating that the country was ready to purchase Patriot air defense systems on favorable terms and use them along with the Russian antiaircraft weapons.

The U.S. has repeatedly objected to Ankara’s purchase of the S-400s, saying that the weapons system is incompatible with NATO security standards and might compromise the operations of the new fifth-generation F-35 fighter jets.

Washington called upon Turkey to cancel the deal with Russia and instead acquire Patriot missile defense systems from the U.S.

In July, the U.S. suspended Turkey’s participation in the F-35 programme, adding that the country would be completely removed from the project by late March 2020.

Turkey refused to abandon the deal with Russia.

However, even after the latter completed the delivery of the main batch of S-400 components, U.S. officials have still continued urging Ankara against putting the systems into operation. (Sputnik/NAN)
YEE

(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

Foreign

More than 240 IS militants, their families surrender to Afghan gov’t forces – Governor

Published

on

At least 241 militants of the Islamic State terrorist group (IS, banned in Russia) and the members of their families have surrendered to the Afghan government forces over the past three days in eastern Afghanistan.

This is contained in a statement issued by the Nangarhar provincial governor’s office.

The Afghan government army’s eastern division, known as the 201 Selab Corps, has shared photographs and videos showing a group of men, women, and children huddled together, claiming them to be IS fighters and their families who have surrendered following a campaign to find and destroy their hideouts.

“The ISIS militants have handed over 60 weapons to 201 Selab Corps, two communications radio, one hand grenade, 13 assault rifles and three motorcycles,” a statement by the brigade published on their Facebook page said.

The IS terror group announced the creation of their Afghanistan branch in 2015, when at the height of their power in Iraq and Syria.

Since then, they have seen their support dwindle but have remained a source of insecurity often outside the influence of the more powerful Taliban.

Most notably, IS claimed responsibility for a suicide bomb attack that killed 63 people at a wedding celebration in Kabul in August. (Sputnik/NAN)
YEE

(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG