Connect with us

Foreign

Tunisia’s tourism earnings drop 47% due to coronavirus

Published

on

Tunisia’s tourism earnings drop 47% due to coronavirus


Tunisia’s revenues from the vital tourism industry dropped by 47 per cent in the first half of this year amid an outbreak of the new coronavirus, figures from the country’s central bank showed on Saturday.

Tourism earnings in the first half of the year stood at 382 million dollars, 47 per cent down compared to the same period of 2019, according to the figures.

The North African country’s tourism sector has felt the brunt of lockdown measures imposed more than three months ago in Tunisia to contain the spread of the virus.

Tunisia reopened its air, land and sea borders on June 27, hoping to revive the tourism industry.

No foreign tourists have since arrived in the country.

Last month, Tunisian Tourism Minister Mohamed Ali Toumi estimated his country’s tourism sector would incur 2.1 billion dollars in losses in 2020 due to the virus.

Toumi told dpa that his country was expecting revenues of 7 billion dinars (2.4 billion dollars) this year before the outbreak of the global pandemic, up from 5.6 billion dinars in 2019.

At the time, he said Tunisia was engaged in talks with European countries, including Germany and France, for the return of their tourists.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Emmanuel Yashim: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders

Published

on


The wife of Ondo State Governor, Mrs Betty Akeredolu, has pledged her readiness to partner with relevant stakeholders to end cases of  sexual violence in the state.


Akeredolu spoke on Tuesday in Akure at a stakeholders meeting on gender-based sexual violence

According to her, an action plan must  aim at addressing the issue of rape in the state holistically.

The governor’s wife, therefore, advised stakeholders to collectively come up with a reasonable action plan that would end the menace.

Mrs Titi Adeyemi, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, said the essence of the meeting was to have a follow up forum on the previous meeting with stakeholders on rape and gender based violence.

Adeyemi noted that the spate of rape cases and gender-based violence was becoming alarming.

“It has become so worrisome, especially during the coronavirus period, which concerns every individuals.

“There has been an upsurge on issue of rape and all hands must be on deck to curb it.

” That is the main reason Mrs Akeredolu and relevant authorities have shown great concern at this time.

“We have put a team of experts together, people who have technical knowledge on gender-based violence issues to look for a lasting solution.

“We have a whole range of stakeholders coming together to evolve an action plan to tackle the menace, and I believe that this move is going to assist the state and the society at large,” she said.

Adeyemi said her ministry had concluded plans with the Ministry of Budget to include funds for gender-based violence management in its budget.

She also said that a desk for management of gender based violence cases would be created while government would build the capacity of care givers as well as empower victims.

The commissioner commended the governor’s wife for contributing to the proactive measures put in place to curb the menace in the state.

Mrs Bola Ogundadegbe, the Chairperson of Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) in the state, disclosed that the 112 rape incidents recorded since 2017 had been charged to court.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that stakeholders at the meeting included representatives from Ministries of Justice, Education, Health, Women Affairs as well as representatives of non governmental organisations specialising on rape cases.

Others were from National Council of Women Societies, Betty Anyanwu Foundation(BAAF), Nigeria Police Force and NSCDC.

(
Edited By: Muftau Adediran/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Spain records lower unemployment in July

Published

on


The Spanish Government on Tuesday said the rate of unemployment declined slightly in July compared to the previous month, in spite drastic measures implemented to fight the spread of the coronavirus.


According to the Labour Ministry, the number of unemployed people declined by 2.3 per cent, or circa 90,000 people, to 3.8 million.

However, analysts were surprised by the result, as predictions had said the number would rise by 20,000.

The figures indicate the Spanish labour market was recovering after unemployment numbers rose by 302,000 in March and 283,000 in April, but only 26,500 additional people were reported unemployed in May and 5,100 in June.

This, they said, marked an ever smaller increase in the rate of unemployment in the country.

The impact of the coronavirus crisis was more apparent in comparison to 2019, however, unemployment in July was 25 per cent higher than in July 2019.

YI/ MNA

Edited By: Yahaya Isah/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Philippine capital, surrounding provinces return to lockdown

Published

on


More than 27 million people in the Philippines on Tuesday went back under stricter lockdown measures as the Health Department reported a record number of new coronavirus cases.


The department reported 6,352 additional coronavirus infections, pushing the country’s total caseload to 112,593.

The department added that death toll also rose to 2,115, following 11 additional deaths.

Meanwhile, almost half of the additional cases were confirmed in the Metro Manila region, which has been placed under what is locally called modified enhanced community quarantine for the next 15 days.

The protocol was also imposed in the four surrounding provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal.

Also, public transport, private and government offices and other commercial services were suspended in the five regions, while people were prohibited from leaving their homes unless for essential trips.

Dine-in services in restaurants were also suspended, and some of the 16 cities in Metro Manila re-imposed a ban on alcohol.

Catholic churches were once again closed to the public, as well as beauty salons and gyms.

Coronavirus cases in the Philippines have been increasing since the government began to ease restrictions in June in a bid to revive the economy.

The spike has prompted doctors, nurses and other health care workers to call on the government to recalibrate the response to the pandemic.

One of the doctors who joined the call warned that if the infections were not halted, the country would be the next New York City, where people die on stretchers due to lack of space in hospitals.

Health Undersecretary Maria Vergeire urged the public to follow minimum health standards of wearing face masks, frequent handwashing and maintaining physical distance.

“We all know the situation in the country. We all know that as long as there is no vaccine or cure, we have to learn to live with the virus.

“That is why we are always reminding the public to follow health protocols,” she said.

Edited By: Yahaya Isah/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Study shows number of COVID-19 cases in Italy higher than expected

Published

on


A study published on Tuesday in Italy showed that six times as many people as officially recorded could have been infected with the coronavirus in the country.


The study, which was conducted by the health ministry and the Statistics Bureau, Istat, found that 1.5 million people (2.5 per cent) of Italy’s population could have developed coronavirus antibodies.

The result is based on tests of 64,660 people, who were chosen as representative samples, between May 15 and July 15.

According to data by the United States Johns Hopkins University, only 248,000 million people were infected with the coronavirus in Italy and 35,000 people died.

Since March, the number of weekly new cases has drastically declined in the Mediterranean country.

The study also showed that there were drastic regional differences with regard to the antibodies.

However, in Lombardy, Italian Northern region that was one of the epicentres of the first outbreak, 7.5 per cent of people had antibodies, while in Southern Italy, the number stood at less than 1 per cent.

YI/

Edited By: Yahaya Isah/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed Multiple taxes: Petroleum dealers in Anambra threaten shutdown, gives 21 day ultimatum Nasarawa lawmaker condemns killing of former ECDA Secretary 3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000 Edo pensioners happy, no longer wear black, says Shaibu Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident Schools resumption: We are ready for students — NAPPS 3rd Mainland Bridge closure: NIWA advises Lagos residents to patronise water transport Digital economy: Nigeria must shift focus from certificate to skills – Pantami Kwara Gov congratulates BUA boss at 60 137 Rangers worldwide die in 2020, says International Rangers’ President Edo 2020: APC youths vow to send Obaseki parking LCCI to engage VP Osinbajo in virtual presidential policy dialogue Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth NUC says 32 universities involved in research to tackle impacts of COVID-19 Oyo launches state-wide initiative against COVID-19 Gov. Ugwuanyi distributes CACOVID palliative in Enugu Gunmen kill journalist in Nasarawa 22 ships discharging petrol, other items at Lagos port — NPA China’s A-share market sees IPO boom in July Lagos COVID-19 recoveries exceed 13,000- NCDC