Connect with us

Foreign

Turkey says no need for further operation outside present offensive area

Published

on


Turkish Defence Ministry on Wednesday said that there was no need for new operation outside the present operation area, as the U.S. has confirmed the withdrawal of the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), completed.



The ministry said in a statement that at the end of the 120-hour period, the U.S. announced that the withdrawal of PKK/YPG from the area had been completed.


“The Sochi agreement include: articles upholding Turkey’s border security and withdrawal of YPG terrorist elements 30km away from our border.


“At this stage, there is no further need to conduct a new operation outside the present operation area,” the ministry said.


The U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, confirmed that the YPG had withdrawn from the area in Northern Syria where Turkey had been conducting “Operation Peace Spring’’.


Pompeo said U.S. military officials had since informed their Turkish counterparts about the pullout.


However, Turkish President, Erdogan Tayyip, said that the U.S. had not fully kept its promises agreed in temporary cease-fire in North-Eastern Syria.


“The U.S. has not fully kept its promises. We will take the necessary steps. If we make compromises, we will open the way for the terrorist organisation,’’ Erdogan said.


Ankara sees the YPG as the Syrian offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which is outlawed for its armed struggle against Turkey over the past three decades.


Meanwhile, the U.S. troops fought the Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, with the help of the YPG fighters.


Following the recent U.S. decision to withdraw its troops from northern Syria, Turkish soldiers launched an incursion into Syria earlier in October in a bid to drive Kurdish fighters out of the area.


However, under the U.S.-Turkey deal reached on Oct. 17, on a five-day truce, Turkey agreed to halt its military operation for 120 hours which expired at 1900 GMT on Tuesday.


Turkey and Russia agreed on Tuesday in Sochi to give the YPG fighters another 150 hours to withdraw from the planned safe zone area. (Xinhua/NAN)


YI/MST


Edited by Yahaya Isah/Muhammad Suleiman Tola



Watch Live News



Make A Comment

Load more

Yahaya Isah: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Latest News