Turkey plans to send to the U.S. an alleged Islamic State fighter who had been stranded in a buffer zone between the Greek and Turkish borders.
“Proceedings have been started to send the foreign terrorist to the U.S. after the U.S. promised to accept him in the country and draft a travel document for him,” the Interior Ministry said, according to state news agency Anadolu.
The statement comes hours after a meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House.
Turkey on Monday said it had deported the first foreign Islamic State fighter, a U.S. citizen.
The ministry said on Thursday that he was deported to Greece on his request.
The media later reported that the suspect was brought to a Turkish border checkpoint at Edirne, in north-western Turkey.
The man, identified as Muhammad Darwis B, a U.S. citizen of Jordanian descent, has been spending nights in a car in the buffer zone after Greek authorities declined to accept him, private DHA news agency reported.
DHA said that he was captured during Turkey’s offensive in north-eastern Syria launched last month.
Ankara said that more Islamic State suspects would be deported this week, with Germany being one of the destinations.
(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan