Iran must cooperate quickly with international inspectors who are seeking to find out whether it has really declared its entire nuclear programme, the U.S. and the European Union (EU) demanded on Tuesday.
The issue was raised at a board meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), one day after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said IAEA inspectors had found nuclear material in a secret Iranian warehouse in Turquzabad, Tehran, which he informed them about last year.
Acting IAEA chief Cornel Feruta has not confirmed media reports and Netanyahu’s assertions about the findings, but he warned Monday that “time is of the essence” for Iran to clarify whether it has provided a complete picture about its nuclear activities.
“Let me say as clearly as possible, Iran must immediately provide the IAEA nothing short of full cooperation,” U.S. envoy Jackie Wolcott said.
Iran’s past nuclear weapons research heightens concerns about these latest developments, she said.
In a joint statement, EU countries also expressed concern about Feruta’s comments.
“We urge Iran to cooperate fully and especially also in a timely manner with the IAEA,” the statement said.
Neither the U.S. nor the EU claimed that Iran’s lack of cooperation breaches its 2015 pact with major powers, which has curbed Iran’s ability to enrich uranium for nuclear weapons, in return for sanctions relief.
However, in response to Washington’s exit from the pact, Iran has surpassed key enrichment limits.
Iran’s most recent step to boost enrichment research “is inconsistent” with the 2015 pact, the EU said.
(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears