Mary Samuel (right) and Tambrapa Gripka
Abuja, April 29, 2019 A Nigerian cyclist,Mary Samuel, on Wednesday ranked fifth in Women Junior Time Trial by the United Cycling International (UCI).
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that on UCI website, Samuel, 18, is on 540.00 points.
Samuel is an emerging athlete that came to limelight during the 2018 National Sports Festival in Abuja.
Samuel won four silver medals in the junior category of the Time Trial, Individual Time Trial, Sprint and Point Race events at the African Track Continental Cycling Championship in South Africa.
The championship held at the Sax Young Cycling Track at Alexandra Park in the Pietermaritzburg area of KwaZulu-Natal region, held from Jan.16 to Jan. 20.
Samuel’s performance at the African Track Continental Cycling Championship placed her on fifth position on the UCI ranking.
South Africa De Waal Andrea is placed first on the UCI ranking while Propster Alessa-Catriona of Germany is ranked second and Seremak Nikola of Poland, third.
May Heather of Australia is placed fourth on the current ranking table.
Team Nigeria to Africa Track Cycling Championship
- Belgian tourism affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- New York officials urge stop of violence in George Floyd protests
- S. Korea reports 27 more COVID-19 cases, 11,468 in total
- New Yorkers continue to protest over George Floyd’s death
- U.S. Seattle announces curfew for weekend after protests
- S. Africa allows phased reopening of tourism amid COVID-19
- New Zealand reports no new COVID-19 case for 9 consecutive days
- S. Africa’s COVID-19 cases surpass 30,000
- Rwanda reports first COVID-19 death
- 1st LD Writethru: 5.3-magnitude quake hits 1210 km N of Acarau, Brazil — USGS
- Los Angeles declares curfew after four days of protests
- Belgium’s hospitality industry heavily affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Portuguese president, PM pay tribute to firefighters amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Hundreds of people arrested after protests against police brutality in Los Angeles
- Cuba backs WHO after U.S. announces terminating relationship
- Spotlight: NASA, SpaceX launch first crewed mission from U.S. soil since 2011
- Feature: Deported Salvadoran recalls dangerous conditions, inadequate care at U.S. detention center during pandemic
- People protest in U.S. Oakland over police-custody death of George Floyd
- Global COVID-19 cases top 6 mln — Johns Hopkins University
- SpaceX launches NASA astronauts into orbit on historic mission