Uduaghan mourns boat mishap victims, condoles with families
Warri (Delta), March 12, 2019 Former Delta Governor, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan has expressed sadness over the death of three persons in a boat mishap during the governorship election in the state.
Uduaghan expressed his view in a statement by his Media Aide, Mr Monoyo Edon, which was made available to newsmen in Warri on Tuesday.
The Delta-born politician, who described the incident as as unfortunate, said the victims made the supreme sacrifice while trying to exercise their civic responsibilities.
A boat carrying 23 passengers capsized around Ebrohimi waterway after the boat had a collision with a fishing boat on the election day.
Reports say while some passengers were rescued, the corpses of the deceased were later found floating by the river bank the following day.
Uduaghan, who contested the Delta South Senatorial Districts on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), also condoled with the families of the deceased.
“These persons paid the supreme price for the nation’s democracy by travelling home to exercise their franchise in the governorship and state houses of assembly elections.
“They died in their quest to ensure that the votes of our people in the riverine areas counted in the March 9 election,” he said.
He said the incident would tell Nigerians the risk Delta South people faced accessing their localities in order to perform their civic duties.
“I commiserate with the family of the deceased, I also wish those receiving treatment in the hospital speedy recovery,” he said.
- Enugu set to increase beekeeping activities to boost IGR
- Court remands 2 men for allegedly kidnapping woman at gun point
- Google to offer checking accounts for consumers – WSJ
- Court sentences hairdresser to 3 months in prison for stealing shoes
- Gunmen kill 3 policemen in Kaduna LG
- Kaduna Govt takes over medical bills of woman locked up for 2 years by brother
- LUTH CMD reiterates commitment to efficient service delivery
- Housewife drags husband to court, seeks divorce over alleged rape
- MainOne’s CEO advocates broadband penetration for devt of digital economy
- APC heads to Appeal Court over disqualification of Deputy Governorship candidate
- Erdogan meets Trump at White House at testing time for U.S.-Turkey ties
- Nationwide Handball League: We’re confident of winning, says Anambra Coach
- Police recruitment: Court adjourns for PSC to respond to AGF’s application
- EU’s Juncker set to leave intensive care after aneurysm operation
- FRSC urges public to assist victims of road traffic crashes
- Man drags friend’s ex fiancée to court over alleged criminal intimidation, defamation
- Former Springboks coach Meyer steps down at Stade Francais
- Probably my best ever, says Thiem after Djokovic win
- Xhaka deserves respect, says former Arsenal skipper Vieira
- Group blames obsolete equipment for incessant collapse of national grid