The Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) , University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH) chapter, has offered free medical treatment to 500 people, including surgical intervention to 10 patients, in Shao, Moro Local Government Area of Kwara.
Dr Salihu Olaitan, ARD President at the facility, on Monday told newsmen that the gesture was part of activities marking the 36th Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the association.
He said medical experts were on ground at Shao for the medical outreach and would provide free medical consultation with free prescriptions and select minor surgical procedures.
Olaitan said that the gesture was to bridge the huge health care gap in the community in line with the group ‘s social responsibility to her community.
He also appealed to the management of UITH and the government at large to put in place necessary infrastructure across teaching hospitals in Nigeria while providing necessary infrastructure.
Dr Tijjani Abdulrasheed, the Vice-President of ARD, who spoke on the sidelines of the outreach, said that the initiative was part of the corporate social responsibilities of the association.
According to him, this is the first time the association is including surgical intervention in its medical outreach.
Abdulrasheed listed some of the common ailments among patients to include hypertension, diabetes, sickle-cell anaemia and glaucoma.
Also speaking, Dr Adaramola Samuel, the Secretary of the Medical and Surgical Outreach Committee, explained that the association in conjunction with Quinta Health would also offer breast cancer examination.
In his remarks Mr Adewuyi Samuel, a community leader in Shao, commended the humanitarian gesture by the ARD team and appealed to it to make it a yearly outreach.
(Edited & Vetted By: Modupe Adeloye/Mufutau Ojo)
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members
- $22.7 loan request meant for infrastructure- FG
- A’Ibom 2020 budget: Group says N4bn for education “too paltry”
- Katsina state govt. establishes 5 new irrigation schemes
- Sudan: Al-Bashir questioned over 1989 coup that brought him to power
- FG launches N46.83bn agric. scheme in 9 oil producing states
- Zambia gov’t says ready for talks to abolish death penalty
- Oyo govt. reinstates 300 sacked workers
- CBi launches National Integrity Barometer to tackle corruption