Umahi assigned the offices while swearing-in 26 commissioners, 18 members of the Local Government Area (LGA) Advisory Committee and 13 Coordinators out of the 64 Development Centres of the state.
Mr Emmanuel Uguru, former Commissioner for Power presently oversees the ministry of Environment while Mr Fidelis Nweze, former Commissioner for Works and Transport is now the commissioner for Infrastructural Development and Concession.
Mrs Uchechi Okah, former Commissioner for Project Monitoring is the Commissioner for Water Resources while Chief Donatus Njoku former Commissioner for Environment oversees the Commerce and Industry ministry.
The newly appointed Commissioners include: Mr Stanley Okoro-Emegha (Border, Peace and Security); Mr Jonah Egba (Solid Minerals); Mr Kenneth Uhuo (Information and Orientation); Dr Stephen Odoh (Education); and Dr Joseph Ekuma Nkama (Investment and Abuja Liaison Office).
The governor said he expected a ‘robust engagement’ from the appointees in order to assist the people and robustly develop the state.
“This is not a form of patronage but a sign that the state is in a hurry to deploy available talents to check the national and global economic challenges.
“We are using the 13 coordinators to ‘test waters’ as they are supposed to be in charge of primary, secondary schools and primary health centres within their development centres,” he said.
He charged the appointees to use their capacities to generate money for the state because there were lots of loose funds to be accessed.
Mr Cletus Ofoke, Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, commended the governor for ensuring adequate geographical spread in the appointments as captured in section 14, sub section 4 of the 1999 constitution as amended.
“The appointees have been duly cleared by the state House of Assembly and are expected to bring their knowledge and experience to bear in overall development of the state,” he said.
Chief Solomon Okoronkwo, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, who spoke on behalf of the appointees, thanked the government for appointing them and pledged to justify the confidence reposed in them.
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020
- Soldiers clean up Ojuelegba axis of Lagos to enhance civilian/military relations
- Enugu hospital turns to pilgrimage ground as residents catch glimpse of quadruplets
- Poor Salary: Kaduna joint tertiary institution unions shelve planned strike
- NIMASA chief urges regular exercise to stay healthy, enhance productivity
- Expert urges Nigerians to imbibe savings culture
- Navy employs weight control mechanism to promote fitness
- Exhibit more political will in tackling nation’s security challenges, Cleric advises FG
- Gospel singer charges youths to start small, be humble
- Yuletide: Curfew, ban of fireworks still effective in Borno -Police