The UN has appointed the Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammad Sanusi II, as a member of the new class of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Advocates.
UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres made the announcement through his spokesman, Mr Farhan Haq, at a news conference in New York on Thursday.
The SDG Advocates are 17 influential public figures committed to “raising awareness, inspiring greater ambition, and pushing for faster action on the SDGs,”
Sanusi is one of the six new members of the group, which is co-chaired by President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana and the Prime Minister of Norway, Ms Erna Solberg.
The other five new members were Hindou Ibrahim of Chad, Dia Mirza of India, Edward Ndopu of South Africa, Nadia Murad of Iraq and Marta Vieira da Silva of Brazil.
Haq said the six new members were taking over from the previous six who had been made SDG Advocate Alumni.
“The Secretary-General looks forward to working with the group over the coming years to advance the SDGs,’’ the spokesman said.
- NIS inaugurates e-registration of foreign nationals in Sokoto
- Nasarawa Speaker hails Gov Sule’s victory at Appeal Court
- Stakeholders to converge on Abuja for UHC Nov. 13 – Sen Oloriegbe
- Minister says sanitation crisis if allowed may undermine SDG 2030
- Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter recovering after surgery
- Unity Colleges: Federal Ministry of Education calls on principals to step up leadership roles
- FCT board to begin 10 days measles, Meningitis `A’ vaccination on Nov. 16
- Macron right on EU membership rules, says North Macedonian president
- S. Africa ready for e-visa system to attract more tourists
- Uganda’s Magala talks tough as Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship gets underway in Abuja
- Lagos Government pledges patronage of local boat manufacturers
- Minister harps on evolving science, technologies to improve innovations
- Police task hoteliers on security measures during Yuletide
- I will recover Bayelsa’s looted funds if voted –DPC governorship candidate
- Borno bans illegal motor parks to curb crimes
- Hundreds of traders protest demolition of Ikosi/Isheri market in Lagos
- INEC ready for Kogi,Bayelsa poll says Chairman
- Progressive governance involves provision of education, jobs, healthcare – Osinbajo
- Minimum wage: Labour tasks legislature on implementation in Kwara
- Ondo State Govt. to partner with NGOs on sports development