UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday appointed Sanda Ojiambo of Kenya as executive director of the UN Global Compact, the largest corporate sustainability initiative in the world.
As the second woman to be appointed in the role, Ojiambo will succeed Lise Kingo of Denmark.
Ojiambo, who assumes the role on June 17, will bring 20 years of experience to lead the Global Compact in its next phase to mobilize a global movement of sustainable companies and stakeholders and bring the full weight of the private sector to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, said Guterres’ press office.
Ojiambo is a long-time business leader in Kenya. She holds a Master’s degree in public policy from the University of Minnesota, the United States, and a Bachelor’s degree in economics and international development from McGill University, Canada.
Launched in July 2000, the UN Global Compact is the secretary-general’s strategic policy and advocacy initiative calling for the alignment of business operations and strategies with 10 universal principles in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption.
- COVID-19 mortality rises to 50 in Lagos
- Plateau NANNM calls off ‘sit-at-home’ protest for members in JUTH Isolation center
- Covid-19: 4-month-old child discharged in Kaduna
- Northern governors mourn former NNPC boss
- Schalke 04’s U.S.-born player wears “Justice for George’’ armband
- Italy records 111 new coronavirus deaths, 416 new cases
- Delta has witnessed unprecedented development under Okowa – Lawmakers
- Banditry: Sultan seeks recruitment, funding of security agencies
- Kenyan farmers grapple with oscillating temperatures as climate varies
- Europe urges Trump to reconsider decision to withdraw from WHO
- Ukraine cancels match after some players, staff test positive for coronavirus
- Buhari felicitates with UNILAG VC, Prof. Ogundipe at 60
- Gov. Mohammed sacks director over alleged financial scam
- COVID-19: NGO sensitises Taraba residents on personal hygiene, use of face masks
- Body commends Kaduna for social register dev’t
- I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor
- Anniversary: Nasarawa community hails Sule’s administration on security, projects
- Tennis’ world number 11 undergoes surgery on both ankles
- Navy reaches out to households in Ogun community
- Law enforcement training institute to train officers on use of body camera