Undeterred by holiday, Yellow Vest protesters rally in Paris
“Over 100 people had been detained by afternoon, while over 11,000 preventative checks of protesters were also carried out,’’ the broadcaster Franceinfo reported, citing authorities.
The demonstrators gathered primarily in the east of Paris, while clashes occurred between security forces and protesters, and multiple vehicles were set ablaze.
It is the 23rd consecutive weekend that Yellow Vest supporters have held demonstrations in France against Macron’s government.
The movement which initially opposed planned fuel tax rises, however raised broader demands for lower taxes, higher pay and more direct democracy since the fuel tax hikes were cancelled.
- Sabre researcher says tourism revenue in Africa Could Increase by 27%
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC