UNDP trains 50 farmers on fuel wood, environmental management in Kaduna
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has trained 50 farmers on nursery establishment and maintenance in Kaduna State.
Asmau Adamu, Kaduna State Director of Forestry, said those trained were selected from nine local government areas in the state.
She said at the one-day training on Thursday in Kaduna that the farmers were from Birnin Gwari, Giwa, Jema’a, Ikara, Lere, Chikun, Kaura, Soba and Zango Kataf LGA’s.
According to Adamu, the aim is to make the people aware of their environment and the importance of planting trees in saving the environment.
She said that to discourage felling of trees, there was need to involve people from different communities and encourage them to plant trees for commercial fuel wood business.
Mr Okon Ekpenyong, National Coordinator, Sustainable Fuelwood Management Project, said the sustainable fuel wood management in Nigeria had multiple environmental and socio-economic benefits.
“So, with this sustainable fuel wood management, it would help us conserve our energy and also help to save the environment in the instance that when they cut trees.
“When you cut one tree you know that you are supposed to plant three trees in place of the tree you cut down.
” We encourage them to nurture and plant fast growing trees of about three years for commercial purposes,” Ekpenyong said.
Toyin Olajide of Center for Gender and Social Policy Studies, Obafemi Awolowo University, pointed out that women and children are mostly affected by wood vending, saying the center’s role is to make sure women are mainstreamed and trained with their male counterparts.
“We have realised that a lot of forests have been degraded and women and children are the ones suffering the most.
“Based on this challenge, we believe if they are taken through this project, teaching them how to make nursery and successfully planting trees, there would be availability of fuel wood all through the year.
“This will empower them and improve their standard of living,” Olajide said.
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti
- NIS rolls out enhanced E-passport in Lagos
- World Pensioners’ Day: Adamawa pensioners demand fair treatment by politicians
- NSE indices record first gain in December, up 0.19%
- NCAT begins training in Drones operation
- Kwara community donates N3m office, motorcycle to NSCDC
- Defence equipment: Buratai wants Chinese firms to establish production line in Nigeria
- How to end insecurity–Gov. Oyetola
- Pension scam: Maina’s sister, Fatima, distance self from coys, bank accounts linked to her
- Cleric advises Christians to imbibe Jesus Christ virtues as they celebrate Christmas
- Reps to intervene in planned strike by NUEE
- FEC approves N307.5m for NAFDAC operational vehicles
- Electricity workers shutdown IE, EKEDC offices
- Rape: Oxfam seeks specialised training for police, legal practitioners
- PDP releases timetable for Edo municipal, state congresses
- Group calls for multi-stakeholders’ collaboration to tackle cultism