Lagos, March 12, 2019 An unemployed man, Ahmed Abimbola, 22, who allegedly attempted to snatch a cell phone was on Tuesday brought before a Tinubu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos.
The defendant, whose address was not provided, is facing a two-count charge of breach of peace and attempted stealing.
Abimbola, however, pleaded innocence of the offences.
The prosecutor, Insp. Ben Ekundayo, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on March 1, about 4.55 a.m., at Westwood Estate, Badore Ajah, Lagos.
“The defendant was seen loitering around in the estate, covered his face with black cloth, made attempt to snatch the cellphone of a woman on her way to work at earlier hours of the morning.
“The woman (name withheld) raised alarm and the estate security men apprehended the defendant,’’ Ekundayo said.
The offences contravene Sections 21 (1) and 166 (d) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 21 (1) carries seven years imprisonment, while section Section 166 (d) stipulates of N40, 000 fine or imprisonment for three months or both.
The Magistrate, Mrs A.M. Olumide-Fusika, granted the defendant N50, 000 bail with two sureties in like sum.
She said that one of the sureties must be a relation of the accused and the other, a civil servant.
Further hearing on the case has been fixed for April 11.
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC
- Lawmaker tasks information officers on efficiency, professionalism
- Border Closure: FG inaugurates NFAN executives to boost fish production
- Group awards N1m scholarships to 10 Nekede Poly students