President of the United Nations General Assembly (PGA), Amb. Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, on Monday outlined his priorities for the remaining part of his tenure in 2020.
These came with an implementation roadmap at an informal plenary of the Assembly in New York.
Addressing delegates, the PGA said he was “determined to galvanise partnerships in implementation of the action plan.
On peace and security, the Nigerian diplomat emphasised the need for multilateralism in international conflict resolution, an issue he promised to flag with stakeholders.
He said the Ukrainian plane tragedy resulting from the Iran-U.S. crisis underscored the need for countries to resolve their differences through diplomacy.
“The need to work harder in achieving peace and security is evident in the current tragedy, which has led to the loss of 176 lives.
“If ever diplomacy should achieve its purpose, this is one urgent area it must show its face.
“This crisis can also not be dissociated from the larger situation in the Middle East.
“It is thus critical that we find solutions to the Israel – Palestine conflict or question, as with those in Syria, Yemen, Libya and others,” he said.
The PGA told delegates he would convene an event to commemorate the second International Day of Education on Jan. 24.
He said the forum would provide an opportunity for stakeholders to cross fertilise ideas on transforming the educational system through partnership.
“I will continue to reach out to you beyond the International Day of Education on how best we can continue to collaborate in achieving this,” he said.
On zero hunger, the PGA disclosed plan to host an event in February on the topic “Targeting Hunger: South-South and Triangular Cooperation for Transforming Agriculture”.
“It is my hope that member states will use this opportunity to deepen discussion on how to strengthen cooperation to achieve Zero Hunger, particularly through partnerships in the agricultural sector.
“We can end hunger and help to eradicate poverty if we deepen cooperation in modernising the agricultural sector, particularly as it concerns availability and affordability of industrial machineries, irrigation systems, high yield seedlings and access to finance.”
Turning to climate change, Muhammad-Bande said there would be an Ocean Conference featuring seven “interactive dialogues” in Lisbon, Portugal between June 2 and 6.
He stated that a preparatory meeting to be held between February 4 and 5, would determine the themes of the discussions and also provide initial inputs for a declaration to be adopted at its conclusion.
He also highlighted a Biodiversity Summit, whose preparatory process will begin on Thursday, saying “we must do our best to tackle the environmental emergencies that we currently face”.
The PGA announced he would convene a high-level dialogue in collaboration with the Secretariat of the UN Convention on Combating Desertification on June 9.
He explained that the summit would provide a platform to “review the progress made in the fight against desertification, land degradation and drought”.
On inclusion, which he described as key to the world, Muhammad-Bande noted that “exclusion has been a major source of instability in all societies”.
“There is absolutely no reason to exclude anyone – whether they are a man or a woman, youth, disabled, or because of their faith, color or where they are from.
“I will organise a High-Level Youth Plenary on March 31, 2020, in conjunction with the President of ECOSOC (Economic and Social Council).
“This will give youths an opportunity to interact among themselves as well as with other stakeholders, including member states and UN officials,” he said.
The Nigerian envoy said he was also working with the President of ECOSOC on an initiative on to promote financial integrity and curb illicit financial flows.
The PGA solicited the support of all delegates, organs of the UN and civil society organisations to advance the implementation of those priorities.
Muhammad-Bande, who is Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the UN, holds the UNGA presidency for a one-year term on behalf of the country.
The respected career diplomat, administrator and professor of Political Science assumed office as PGA in September.
Edited by: Sadiya Hamza
- Bow legs: Expert recommends exposure to sunlight, healthy dieting for children
- We stumbled on your property, ICPC replies Pinnacle
- APC wins rerun election in Kagarko LGA of Kaduna
- NGO donates educational materials to community in Abuja
- Troops continue onslaught on Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists in NE, arrest informants – Army
- PDP wins Akwa Ibom rerun
- Coronavirus: WHO advises countries to prepare for detection as death toll hits 56
- Igbos must work hard to get power in 2023 — Tanko Yakasai
- NDE disburses N2.1 m to 210 women in Kebbi
- Revitalising culture to bring people together, my mission – U.S based Nigerian musician
- Group urges Nigerians to support community policing strategy
- Politicians should take bulk blame for current insecurity – Sen. Nyako
- Tragedy: Jealous man stabs girlfriend to death in Bauchi
- Kidney Disease: How adequate, accessible are dialysis machines?
- GOC tasks officers, men on discipline
- Osinbajo, Sanwo-Olu laud Airtel’s CSR initiative
- Nsukka LG chairman grades 22 roads in one month
- Centre introduces measures to check unemployment,restiveness in Nasarawa state
- Police arrest 16 suspects over alleged attack on patrol team in Minna
- Music review: Davido drops unimpressive single in New Year
- National Hospital records high patronage on knee, hip replacement surgeries
- Aliyu pledges to complete renovation of public schools in FCT
- Agro-firm targets 120,000 tonnes of maize in 2020
- APC wins rerun election for Sanga House of Assembly seat in Kaduna
- APC wins reps seat in Ogun
- PDP wins Kaduna Assembly seat
- Bauchi rerun elections: PDP clinches Gamawa Federal Constituency seat
- APC wins Reps seat in Cross River
- Nigerian Army troops thwart Boko Haram attacks in Borno
- Mennonite celebrates 100 years of humanitarian services worldwide
- Wellbeing Foundation Africa mourns late WHO Director
- Saudi Arabia wealth fund in talks to buy Newcastle United for £340 million
- Bauchi Supplementary elections: PDP wins Zaki Federal Constituency polls
- Rangers agree permanent deal with Defoe
- Artists decry continuous locking of Abuja Arts, Craft Village
- China-Nigeria relations productive, beneficial, says Chinese ambassador
- NUJ Chairman calls for independence of Nigeria Press Council
- FAAN explains bush fire incident around airfield side at Lagos Airport
- Lassa fever: Enugu Govt urges residents to be calm, dispels rumour of nurse death
- Amotekun needs FG’s backing to operate, says CG Vigilante Group
- Buhari congratulates Gov. Lalong of Plateau on Knighthood
- Buhari mourns Abdulkadir Oniyangi
- Bishop Kaigama tasks Papal awardees to be guided by Christian values
- Stakeholders call for robust media freedom
- Professionalism key to quality service delivery in NCC – CEO
- Niger gov. condemns renewed bandits attacks on communities
- Lassa fever: 29 deaths, 195 confirmed cases reported in 11 states – NCDC
- Why I am playing local politics – Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Obisia Nwamkpa tasks Lagos on early preparations
- FRSC to impound flatbed trailers without proper latching
- 91 bag first class, as NDU holds 5th combined convocation in Bayelsa
- Stop selling foreign films, NFVCB warns traders
- Kwara Cathedral church re-opens – Statement
- P/Harcourt Disco begins 7.5% VAT Feb. 1
- Mathematicians urge govt. to embrace evidence-based planning for national development
- ZLP inaugurates new executives in Ondo
- Service to the people, essence of governance – Badagry LG boss
- Ogun Govt. warns against erection of structure, farming in forest reserves
- EFCC invades election venue in Imo rerun
- Football : Sarri says jeers would be a sign of affection for him
- Ogun Govt. trains law officers in ICT
- President Buhari commends Gov. Matawalle’s handling of insecurity in Zamfara
- Mrs Saraki mourns death of WHO’s head of UHC, Salama
- Mushin plank market, 4 other buildings ravaged by fire in Lagos
- Amotekun: Tinubu, a true leader – Yoruba Ronu
- Senate President empowers constituents, supports 2,000 students
- Empowerment: Senate President distributes entrepreneurship kits to constituents, support 2, 000 indigent students
- Military foils 419 vandalism attempts on oil export pipelines – Commander
- Malaria: NGOs distribute free drugs, treated nets in FCT
- Iheanacho sends Foxes into FA Cup last 16
- Sokoto re-run election hitch free, declaration of results begins- INEC
- NEMA sensitises traders on fire prevention in Kaduna
- Yoruba youths honour NSE chairperson, urge preservation of indigenous languages
- NASPOLY academic staff union elects new officials
- Fidelity Bank rewards customers, harps on youth empowerment
- Bauchi Supplementary, rerun polls, an improvement over 2019 exercise – REC
- MTN empowers 2,000 Nigerian with “Kiosk as a Service” scheme
- Experts caution against excessive, unprescibed use of sex stimulants
- NGO donates improved seedlings to 50, other items to 340 IDPs in Plateau
- FRSC doctorates 25 newly promoted officers in Nsukka
- Kaigama tasks Gov Lalong on inclusive governance
- NATE to fabricate rice dryer, other agric machines this year
- Mobile court prosecutes 300 sanitation offenders in Nasarawa
- KDSG confirms one case of Lassa fever
- Emir of Daura restates commitment to government’s programmes
- Group advocates for National Disability Commission
- Africa has potential to be biggest economic miracle, says AfDB President
- Re-run: Police commend peaceful voting in C/River
- North-East: FG working toward resettling displaced communities
- Finance Act will stimulate Nigerian economy — Osinbajo
- APC scribe commends Abia South peaceful re-run elections
- Kaduna re-run election witnesses voter apathy
- Bauchi Supplementary/rerun polls record large turnout of voters
- Voting commences in Akwa Ibom rerun election
- Lekki residents want Lagos govt to fix roads in dry season
- Financial experts say CRR raise necessary to tame inflation
- NBTE commends Yabatech for setting standards among Polytechnics
- Ex- ANAN President tasks FG on nation’s security
- Lassa Fever: Expert emphasises environmental hygiene
- Sokoto Re-run: Election commences peacefully, turnout impressive
- UTME: NSCDC pledges partnership with JAMB in Anambra
- Review of Nigeria’s university curriculum in final stage – NUC
- Kano Commitee cautions residents on sanitation to prevent Lassa fever
- Korean blockbuster film “Extreme Job” light-up Asian Film Festival in FCT
- Agency woos youths in Anambra on aquaculture
- India-Nigeria bilateral trade volume increase to $13. 9b in 2018-2019
- NIS prevents trafficking of 9 girls
- NPFL Match Day 17: Plateau United, Rivers United, Lobi Stars in battle for top spot
- Oba of Benin calls for peaceful co-existence, unity among Nigerians
- Rooney fails to inspire as Derby draw goalless with Northampton
- FCT police arrest traditional ruler over murder of officer
- Community policing will address insecurity, says APC Governors
- TetFund to construct N500m library at Fed. Varsity Gusau
- Bolivia cut-off diplomatic relations with Cuba
- Education in serious crisis, say stakeholders at UN
- We didn’t direct decommissioning of metres by DisCos – NERC
- FG lauds UNHCR services in Nigeria
- NAF postpones induction ceremony of newly acquired Agusta power helicopters
- Northern/Southern leaders hold peace talk in Lagos
- Rerun: INEC pledges credible elections in all polling units
- Attacks: CAN urges harmony between Xtians, Muslims
- India reiterates commitment to increased defence collaboration with Nigeria
- C/River Gov’t assures of timely completion of General Hospital Calabar
- TI report on Nigeria unfair, untenable- ICPC
- UI offers admission to 4,359 out of 19,482
- Banking sector gross credit grows by N2trn in 7 months – Emefiele
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Human encroachment triggers infectious diseases- Lagos Commissioner
- Gov. Obiano begins payment of N30,000 new minimum wage in January
- Egypt will continue to strengthen African unity -Envoy
- Be more patriotic, promote indigenous airlines operating in Nigeria, says Onyeama
- 20th NSF: Osun official promises better performance
- Gov. Zulum inaugurates Security Trust Fund, 3 other boards
- Corps members conduct sanitation exercise at Plateau hospital
- ATBU Teaching Hospital celebrates 10-year anniversary
- 2020 UTME registration: JAMB takes measures against erring CTB centres in Nasarawa
- No amount of blackmail ‘ll discourage 9th Assembly from supporting FG
- Re-run elections: I-G orders security beef up in affected states
- Ikeja Electric upgrades network in Akowonjo, Abule-Egba business units to improve power supply
- Sudan signs initial political, security deal with rebel group
- FG seeks support in returning out-of-school children to classes
- Buratai emerges Daily Asset Man of the Year
- Militant sentenced to five years for abandoned Berlin bomb plot
- UK’s Prince Charles urges Middle East peace, visits grandmother’s tomb
- C/River Assembly not investigating PZ Wilmar -Speaker
- Gov. Zulum tasks emergency response team to contain Lassa fever
- Nigerians spend over N300bn yearly on malaria treatment – Virologist
- DPR denies resuming kerosene supply to Cross River
- Group offers free surgeries to 60 indigents in Kwara
- Solskjaer urges patience with Manchester United’s rebuilding project
- EU officials sign withdrawal deal, appoint ambassador as Brexit looms
- Housing: Labour signs MoU with FMBN in Ondo
- Conjunctivitis: Demand for Sun glasses increases in Enugu
- White House hopes for impeachment to wrap up next week
- Coronavirus: Doctors urge FG to step up screening at airports, borders
- Egypt’s ex-president Mubarak undergoes surgery, son says
- Man docked for allegedly threatening DPO’s life
- Britain decries U.S. decision on extradition refusal
- Airtel launches new number range, 0904
- Second case of coronavirus confirmed in the U.S
- UNICEF tasks FG, State Governments on youth development
- More than 1m Ethiopians receive humanitarian aid in 2019 – IOM
- UNICEF reaffirms support to PAN’s pneumonia control
- EU steps up support for conflict victims in Nigeria
- Plateau Police command gets new spokesperson
- London police to deploy live facial recognition cameras
- Kwara govt will seek to eradicate drug abuse, poverty through sports, deputy governor says
- Nigeria deploy 185 troops to Guinea Bissau for peace keeping mission
- Polaris Bank pledges continued disbursement of salary advance to customers
- Large explosion rocks Houston, at least 1 person hospitalised
- Pension Team rejected N2bn bribe, EFCC witness tells court
- Tunisia’s PM-designate says new gov’t to have no more than 25 ministers
- French ministers sign off on pension reforms amid large protests
- Desert locust likely head toward Uganda, South Sudan, Ethiopia
- Gov. Obiano restates commitment to Anambra Airport road project
- Foreign Reserves: CBN not contemplating devaluation of currency
- Don stresses need for home-grown technology to solve health challenges
- Gov. Lalong extends hands of fellowship to opposition
- Edo 2020: Lagos wins S/West Zonal Eliminations
- Sokoto rerun election: Police assure of adequate security
- Delta to demolish unapproved outdoor adverts, structures
- Pantami inaugurates NIGCOMSAT board
- Ejigbo LCDA seals off Kenmoore Motors on court order
- Group to trains medical practitioners on automated healthcare services in Lagos
- FG inaugurates $1bn National Agric Mechanisation Committee
- Gov. Ishaku signs Taraba’s N215bn 2020 budget into law
- Development: Nasarawa Commissioner drums support for Gov. Sule
- Monetary committee increases cash ratio from 22.5% to 27.5%
- Rugby: Vegas Sportswear proud to associate with Nigeria, plans to promote sports in Africa
- Trump’s peace plan may polarise Middle East: Palestinians
- At least 21 dead, 20 missing as heavy rains lash Madagascar
- Foundation launches history club in FCT schools
- Centre trains 37 officers in sexual exploitation, abuse, gender
- New signing Odriozola could make Bayern debut against Schalke – Flick
- NSE: Market capitalisation sustains growth with N19bn
- U.S. Vice President Pence meets pope, jokes ‘You have made me a hero’
- NSF 2020: Edo to engage 1,000 cleaners
- IPPIS: ASUU threatens `No Pay, No Work’ over FG plan to stop salaries of lecturers
- Helen Paul advises women to appreciate self
- Intl’ Day of Education: Education key in achieving 2030 SDGs agenda, says Lagos lawmaker