Connect with us

Tourism

Use Nigeria’s cultural diversity to build formidable nation: CBAAC chief

Published

on

The Director-General of the Centre for Black and African Arts and Civilisation (CBAAC) on Friday harped on the need for Nigerians to use their cultural diversities to build a formidable nation.

Mrs Osaro Osayande told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos that Nigerians needed to live in love, peace and harmony to achieve national aspirations.

Osayande spoke to NAN in an interview to commemorate World Culture Day.

World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, known popularly as World Culture Day is a UN approved international day for the promotion of diversity.

The day is set aside to help communities to understand the value of cultural diversity and learn how to live together in harmony.

Osayande said that Nigeria’s multi-cultural potential was a huge asset that provided opportunities that Nigerians should take advantage of to achieve national development.

She said that most of the conflicts experienced in the country were due to cultural differences, advising citizens to take out time to understand one another’s culture.

“We all must learn to live peacefully, respect people’s culture and not make jest of anyone’s culture.

“We are meant to celebrate our cultural diversity as a people because there are a whole lot we can achieve with that when we take out time to understand one another.

“We should learn to interact with one another to take right decisions and not take decisions based on assumptions.

“Living peacefully in love and harmony will enable us achieve our goals as a nation.”

She also advised Nigerians to learn at least one local language that is not their mother tongue to hasten cultural integration.

The director-general enjoined parents to educate their children and wards on cultural issues to integrate them into their cultural milieu.

“Everyone must attain a level of majority to imbibe the mode of dressing of other ethnic groups and also learn to cook and eat other people’s dishes.

“No culture should be seen as inferior or superior to another,” said Osayande.

Edited By: Edith Bolokor/Silas Nwoha (NAN)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Foreign

Curfew announced in Washington after protests near White House

Published

on

By

Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser said on Sunday night she was imposing a citywide curfew amid rising tensions between protesters and police outside the White House over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man killed in Minneapolis police custody.

Bowser said in a statement the curfew would last “from 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 31, until 6:00 a.m. on Monday, June 1.” She had also activated the D.C. National Guard to support the local police.

Sunday marked the third day in a row of protests in the U.S. capital over the death of Floyd. While the clash between protesters and law enforcement officers was less severe than that in other parts of the country, D.C. Chief of Police Peter Newsham said on Sunday the Metropolitan Police Department still arrested 17 people Saturday night and that 11 police officers were injured during the protests.

Floyd, aged 46, died on May 25 after Derek Chauvin, a white police officer, held him down with a knee on his neck though he repeatedly pleaded, “I can’t breathe,” and “please, I can’t breathe.” Chauvin was arrested and charged with three-degree murder and manslaughter earlier on Friday.

Floyd’s plea before his death evoked African Americans‘ painful memories. In 2014, a cellphone recorded an unarmed black man, Eric Garner, repeatedly saying “I can’t breathe” when a New York officer held him in a chokehold before his death in police custody. Since then, the plea has become a rallying cry at demonstrations against police misconduct across the country.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Military bombards bandits’ logistics warehouse in Zamfara – DHQ

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters says the Air Component of Operation Hadarin Daji  on Saturday destroyed a bandits’ logistics warehouse in an air bombardment along North of Birnin Kogo in Zamfara.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, in a statement on Sunday, said the air bombardment was in continuation of the renewed onslaught against armed bandits in parts of the Northwest and North Central states.

Enenche said the air strikes were executed sequel to intelligence reports that indicated that the large structure was being used by the bandits to store their ammunition, raw rations and other logistics items in the area.

According to him, a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) attack aircraft was scrambled to engage the target, scoring accurate hits on the warehouse, which went up in flames as a result of its volatile contents, leading to its complete destruction.

“Four armed bandits guarding the facility were also neutralised as a result of the attack.

The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, commends the Air Component of Operation Hadarin Daji for their professionalism.

“He directed them to remain resolute in the conduct of air strikes whilst continuing to provide close air support for ongoing ground operations in order to eradicate all armed bandits,” he said.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Laos focuses on treatment of 3 remaining COVID-19 patients

Published

on

By

Lao National Taskforce Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control is keen to treat the last three infected cases, so they can be discharged from the hospital as soon as possible.

The remaining three COVID-19 patients have light symptoms and they will be released from hospital if they test negative twice for the virus, Lao Deputy Minister of Health Phouthone Meaungpak told a press conference in Lao capital Vientiane on Sunday.

The three infected cases included an 18-year-old man, who was confirmed as the eighth case and treated since March 28; the 10th case, a 21-year-old woman, who was treated since April 1; the 17th case, a 32-year-old woman, who was treated since April 11.

All of the patients are treated in the designated hospital – Mittaphab Hospital (Hospital 150) and living in Lao capital Vientiane.

The National Taskforce Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control requested the public’s cooperation in complying with the government’s measures to gradually get the economy up and running again while ensuring there were no second phase outbreak.

The total number of COVID-19 cases in Laos remained at 19, as no new case was confirmed for 49 consecutive days, according to the report.

As of Sunday, Laos has tested 6,928 suspected cases with 19 cases tested positive, and 16 patients have recovered.

Laos announced its first two confirmed COVID-19 cases on March 24.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Australian soldiers formally accused of war crimes in Afghanistan

Published

on

By

Australian Special Forces soldiers have been formally accused of committing war crimes while serving in Afghanistan.

News Corp Australia reported recently that several troops have received notices from the Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force (IGADF) accusing them of breaching the laws of armed conflict in Afghanistan.

It comes four years after the IGADF launched an investigation into allegations that Special Forces personnel were involved in unlawful killings in Afghanistan.

The notices advise recipients that the IGADF intends to make adverse findings against them, giving them several weeks to respond to the allegations before the report is handed to Angus Campbell, the Chief of the Defence Force, in July.

The final report will make recommendations on what actions should be taken against the accused men, including possible criminal proceedings, as well as recommendations about the culture of the Special Forces.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) is conducting a separate investigation into alleged war crimes committed by two Special Forces soldiers, one of who is known only as “Soldier C” while the other is Victoria Cross recipient Ben Roberts-Smith.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) revealed on Wednesday that Soldier C is under investigation for killing an unarmed intellectually disabled Afghan man known only as Ziauddin in 2012.

It is the second killing Soldier C has been implicated in after the ABC in March broadcast helmet camera footage of the soldier – who has since been stood down by the ADF – shooting a different unarmed Afghan man three times while he cowered on the ground.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Protesters rally near White House during protest over death of George Floyd

Published

on

By

Protesters rally near the White House during a protest over the death of George Floyd in Washington D.C., the United States, on May 30, 2020. Demonstrations and riots have spread to cities across the United States after a video went viral of George Floyd being suffocated to death by a white police officer in the midwest U.S. state of Minnesota on May 25. (Xinhua/Liu Jie)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Kunsthistorisches museum in Vienna reopens

Published

on

By

Visitors visit the Kunsthistorisches museum in Vienna, Austria, May 30, 2020. As one of the most famous museums in the world, Kunsthistorisches museum reopened on Saturday after a lockdown. Visitors are required to wear masks and keep distance when visiting the museum. (Photo by Georges Schneider/Xinhua)

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: NGO sensitises Taraba residents on personal hygiene, use of face masks

Published

on

The Youth Progressive Association in Taraba (TYPA), an NGO, on Saturday, sensitised Taraba residents on personal hygiene and use of facemasks to check the spread of COVID-19 in the state.
The Programme Officer of the organisation, Mrs Francisca Ikyumen, who spoke at the sensitisation programme, called on the people to take issues about the existence of the virus seriously.
She said that the monthly exercise, which was an initiative of Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (E-WASH) in the state, was aimed at ensuring a clean and healthy society.
Ikyumen urged the participants not to depend solely on government in ensuring the sanitation of their environment, as government alone could not do everything.
She also appealed to the people of the state to observe all the protocols for the prevention of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In his remarks, Mr Boniface Kosson, the Chief Executive Officer of the NGO, urged the participants to form groups of willing members in their respective communities to deepen the campaign for personal hygiene.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that stakeholders at the meeting pledged to mobilise their people to ensure effective water supply and sanitation in their areas.

Edited By: Chinyere Bassey and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Navy reaches out to households in Ogun community

Published

on

The Nigerian Navy through the Naval Training Command (NAVTRAC) on Saturday reached out to another set of 250 households in Ota as part of its 64th anniversary.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that items contained in the palliatives include rice, beans, vegetable oil, condiments, hand sanitisers, gloves and face masks.

Rear Adm. Idowu Yusuf, the Acting Flag Officer Commanding (FOC) of NAVTRAC was in the community on behalf of the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) and the new FOC of NAVTRAC.

Yusuf accompanied by senior naval officers paid a courtesy visit to the palace of the Olota of Ota Land.

He also proceeded to the palace of the Baale of Idota Titun Land in Otun Ota where the palliatives were presented.

He said that the palliatives was to appreciate one of its host communities which host the Navy School of Music during this pandemic period.

He said that the gesture also represented part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and to improve the Civil-Military relation.

The Nigerian Navy traditionally celebrates its Anniversary with fanfare and pageant commencing with the activities at the end of May every year climaxing in the Navy Day on June 1.

“The week-long Anniversary celebration provides an opportunity for showcasing the various achievements of the NN and to demonstrate the Navy’s capabilities.

“Several host communities were selected by the Chief of Naval Staff to appreciate the outstanding cooperation and collaboration given to the NN,” he said.

Yusuf said that the global pandemic made the Navy to modify this anniversary which resulted to giving palliatives communities.

“The current global COVID-19 pandemic affecting the country has made the NN to modify this year’s celebrations.

“This informed the selection of Idota Tuntun Community as one of the several communities to benefit from the CNS palliatives to alleviate hardship caused by this global pandemic on our citizens.

“The palliatives is designed to assist 250 households with assorted food, PPE. I want to reiterate that COVID-19 is real.

“Consequently some of the active measures to curtail the virus include washing of hands with soap and water, avoiding touching of face, nose or eyes with your hands and maintaining social distance,” he said.

The Acting FOC, however, appreciated the contribution of Olota of Ota and the various Baales for the cordial relationship enjoyed by the Commanding Officer and the staff of the Navy.

Abdulkareem Odunaro, the Onikotun of Otun Ota, who represented the Olota of Ota, Oba Abdulkabir Obalanlege, appreciated the Navy for remembering his community.

The NN has always been there for us. We appreciate the NN for remembering us, it’s one of the biggest since we have been receiving palliatives.

“We want to appreciate the CNS, the FOC of NAVTRAC for reaching out to us,” he said.

NAN reports that the Western Naval Command had also reached out to two host communities of Imoore and Alayabiagba in Lagos state.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

Law enforcement training institute to train officers on use of body camera

Published

on

The Lagos State Law Enforcement Training Institute (LETI) has mapped out new training modules on the use of body camera for law enforcement officers, to aid effective execution of their duties.

 

The Director General of LETI, Mr Ifalade Oyekan,said this during a sensitisation programme by  the Vehicle Inspection Service at its Lagos Island office on Saturday.

 

Oyekan said that this was the fourth round in the series of sensitisation and mobilization programmes for personnel of  all Lagos State Law Enforcement Agencies.

 

The Agencies visited are: the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA),the  Lagos State Neighborhood Safety Corps (LNSC), the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps (LAGSEC) and the  Vehicle Inspection Service (VIS).

 

Oyekan said that for law enforcement officers to live up to their  expectations, there was the need to train and retrain them on best global practices.

 

He said that the training was in line with the Lagos State Government THEMES agenda which are: Traffic Management and Transportation; Health and Environment; Education and Technology; Making Lagos a 21st Century state; Security and Governance.

 

Stressing the benefits of the body camera, Oyekan said:  “In other climes, their law enforcement agencies make use of dashboard camera and body camera which help them carry out their duties effectively.

 

“One of the achievements of  Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu is the introduction of I-witness body camera for all law enforcement agencies, as proposed by LETI.

 

“The idea is that every officer will be assigned a camera and immediately he resumes duty, the camera is expected to be on  throughout his shift, this will also serve as clock in and out.

 

“With the cameras assigned to officers, they will be able to capture offenders and violators which will help the Ministry of Justice to prosecute their cases in courts based on the evidence produced from the body camera.

 

“Also, everything captured will be transmitted to the central database of the enforcement agency and officers will not be able to tamper with the device. With this, there will be more transparency and officers will carry out their duties as expected.”

 

Oyekan said that beyond sensitising the officers, visits to the various agencies had enabled him ascertain their training needs in order to tailor the training curriculum to their challenges.

 

He said that with the COVID-19 pandemic,  the institute would soon commence online training for officers in various cadres.

 

Responding, Mr Hakeem Balogun, the  Area Commander, VIS, Lagos Island Command, expressed gratitude to LETI for enlightening them on innovative  ways to optimise their operations.

 

Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Peter Dada (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also