A stoppage-time goal by defender Patrick van Aanholt gave Crystal Palace a memorable 2-1 win at Manchester United after a toothless display by the home side in the Premier League on Saturday.
Van Aanholt powered a shot past United keeper David De Gea following a howler by Paul Pogba.
Daniel James had scored in the 89th minute to cancel out a first-half opener by Jordan Ayew for the visitors.
Ayew scored against the run of play in the 32nd minute as Palace punished United’s lack of creativity in midfield and bite up front, with Marcus Rashford missing a 70th-minute penalty for the home side.
Palace were rewarded for their first foray into the United half as Jeffrey Schlupp headed on goalkeeper Vicente Guaita’s punt up field and Ayew was on hand to steer a low shot past De Gea after taking the ball in his stride.
With time running out for United, Wales winger James equalised when he curled a delightful shot into the top corner but the home side’s joy was short-lived as Palace grabbed the winner several minutes later.
Pogba, who missed a penalty in Monday’s 1-1 draw at Wolverhampton Wanderers, compounded another poor performance.
He gave the ball away in the danger zone and Van Aanholt pounced to beat De Gea with a low shot from 12 metres. (Reuters/)
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study