Liverpool and Netherlands’ defender Virgil van Dijk on Thursday attributed his success of winning the UEFA Men’s Player of the Year award to the role his teammates played.
Van Dijk was on Thursday crowned the UEFA Men’s Player of the Year during the UEFA Champions League draw in Monaco.
He was the big winner from the UEFA Champions League awards, picking up the Player of the Year accolade, ahead of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
“I need to thank my teammates. Without them, I would not have achieved what I have achieved,” van Dijk said after picking up his award.
“It’s been a long road and it’s part of my journey. I’m very proud to get this trophy.
“It’s credit to everyone who has helped me. I wasn’t 18 and went straight to the top. I had to work every step of the way.
“I looked up to Ronaldinho a lot (while) growing up. I enjoyed his play with all his tricks, it was a great feeling to watch him play,” he said.
The UEFA Champions League draw ceremony took place in Monaco, with the elite of European football learning their group-stage opponents for this year’s tournament.
The event was also an opportunity for UEFA to hand out their annual awards, recognising the best performing players in each position throughout the previous year.
As well as the best goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and forward, UEFA selected the best Men’s and Women’s Players of the Year and handed the President’s award to Manchester United legend Eric Cantona.
Shortlists for every category were selected by a jury comprising the 80 coaches of the clubs that participated in the Champions League and Europa League last season.
They were joined by 55 prominent journalists who were also handed votes.
(Edited by Kamal Tayo Oropo and Olawale Alabi)
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges