It was the latest flashpoint in a global showdown over Venezuela, with Western nations largely recognising Guaido as the legitimate head of state.
But Russia and China are still supporting the socialist Maduro and urging non-interference.
“This action represents a threat against Germany,’’ Guaido told Der Spiegel after Caracas declared ambassador Daniel Kriener persona non grata.
He and other diplomats had welcomed home Guaido at Caracas airport earlier this week.
“I hope that Europe reacts sharply to this serious threat against an ambassador,” Guaido added.
“Above all, they should tighten financial sanctions against the regime.’’
Germany is among many nations backing Guaido’s plan to install a transitional government ahead of free elections.
He denounces Maduro as a usurper, whose re-election in 2018 resulted from a sham vote.
Maduro says he is a victim of a U.S.-led coup attempt and “economic war”.
German Foreign Minister, Heiko Maas, on Wednesday, called Venezuela’s action “incomprehensible” and said Germany and its European partners would continue to back Guaido.
He said the ambassador would be returning home for consultations.
Guaido, however, said he had asked Kriener to stay since Maduro was not empowered to expel a diplomat as he was “occupying the post of president illegally.”
The international community should act to prevent Maduro using Venezuelan taxpayer funds to “kill critics of the regime and indigenous peoples, as is already happening at the border to Brazil’’.
He made this remark in reference to recent violence there.
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC
- Lawmaker tasks information officers on efficiency, professionalism
- Border Closure: FG inaugurates NFAN executives to boost fish production
- Group awards N1m scholarships to 10 Nekede Poly students