Abuja, April 28, 2019 Veragold Amazons Football Club on Sunday defeated Capital City Doves FC 2-1 to win the 2019 FCT Women’s FA Cup competition.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the match played at the Area 3 football pitch saw Veragold Amazons dominating the game.
Veragold Amazons made their intention known as early as the 16th minute when Tina Oge scored with a long-range free kick to record the first goal.
Sylvester Gloria doubled the lead in the 36th minute.
Joy Ifunanya of Capital City Doves cut the deficit in the 40th minute
Capital City Doves players fought hard but failed to draw level before the end of the first half.
However, both Abuja-based clubsides fought harder in the second half to score, but they could not convert their chances into goals.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the scoreline stayed at 2-1 at the end of the game.
Speaking after the match, the coach of Capital City Doves FC, Gloria Adana, said she was happy to have her in the final match even though they lost the match.
“It is unfortunate that we could not regain the title we won in 2017.
” But our opponent were not better than my players, because they did not put up any special performance. They only won the match by chance.
“Now we need to start preparations for the Aiteo Cup national competition immediately, because we are going to meet greater and better teams,” she said.
On her part, the coach of Veragold Amazons, Bilikis Tijani, said she was happy to win the final match.
“This our first appearance in the FCT FA Cup. I’m happy that we achieved our target, which was to win in the final.
“My players did a very good job by making me and the management of the club proud. Now we need to focus on the national competition.
“Our next target is to play in the final match at the national level,” she said.
NNN reports that only four clubs participated in the 2019 FCT Women’s FA Cup competition.
The other two clubs are Beautiful Tour Angels and Blessed Unity Angels FC.
- Konta in good spirits day after health scare at Top Seed Open
- Four-goal Shakhtar Donetsk set up Europa League semi-final against Inter Milan
- Bauchi Govt. partners UNESCO on mobile learning for school children
- Sevilla reach Europa League semi-finals as Wolves pay for penalty kick miss
- Zamfara security c’tee denies resignation of members
- Police arrest 3 for allegedly robbing fishermen of N1.6m in Lagos
- New Zealand city of Auckland prepares for lockdown as mystery COVID cases emerge
- IPAC wants INEC to adjust timetable for Ondo, Edo polls
- Gov. Wike dissolves Task Force on Illegal Street Trading, Motor Parks
- Akeredolu admonishes governors to support community policing