The Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, on Wednesday ordered the prosecution of an erring driver, following the viral video of a marshal on a vehicle’s bonnet.
Oyeyemi gave the directive in a statement issued by Mr Bisi Kazeem, Corps Public Education Officer (CPEO) in Abuja.
The corps marshal also called for investigation of the patrol team.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the incident occurred on Monday on Ikorodu-Sagamu Road in Lagos, during a special joint patrol operations.
The operation was aimed at enforcing PTF’s directives on physical distancing and prevention of passengers’ overloading.
Oyeyemi said that the agency’s attention had been drawn to a viral video circulating in the social media where a patrol team member of the Corps was seen on the bonnet of a vehicle (Honda Odessey).
“The vehicle, whose driver was attempting to avoid arrest, having been accosted by the team for committing the offence of seatbelt use violation, absconded,” he said.
Oyeyemi, who said he was saddened by the development, ordered the entire team to be recalled to the Lagos State Sector Command for investigation and appropriate disciplinary actions.
He said that the investigation would commence in line with the Corps’ regulations, while the erring driver would face immediate prosecution in a court of competent jurisdiction.
“It is expedient to state that the agency’s operational guidelines do not allow personnel to stand in front of any vehicle while stopping it to effect arrest, at the detriment of their own safety.
“For emphasis, a staff does not need to commit suicide while stopping an offender that is already on a suicide mission.
“Every arrest of an offender is expected to be done within safe and professional limits, in line with their training and operational guidelines.
“This is not to unnecessarily put their own lives in danger, while attempting to arrest a fleeing offender.
“That is why the Corps has been deploying technology to track all cases of absconding recalcitrant drivers of this nature and bring them to justice,” he said.
Oyeyemi warned motorists to note that the above scenario was not a guarantee for drivers to continue to disobey traffic laws and exhibit such dastardly acts, that put the lives of law enforcement agents at risk.
He said that the agency would consequently utilise every legal option within its powers to arrest and prosecute the absconding dangerous driver, who, having realised his folly, abandoned the vehicle and took to his heels.
Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)
COVID-19: Nigeria donates PPEs worth N67m to Sao Tome and Principe
“I am happy to inform you that as ECOWAS champion in the containment of COVID-19 in the West African sub-region, Mr President made a donation of 67 million worth of PPEs and medical supplies to the government and people of Sao Tome and Principe,” Mustapha said.
He said that medical equipment donated includes units of test kits, extraction kits, infrared thermometers, and other items of personal protective equipment to treat and test thousands in Sao Tome and Principe.
Meanwhile, the PTF Chairman appreciated the group of COVID-19 survivors that have added their voices to the campaign against stigmatization and urged others to always remember that COVID-19 was not a death sentence, stressing that “Nigerians need to support one another.
“Most importantly, let’s wear our masks properly, stay at home, especially for those above 60 years, maintain social distancing and continue to take personal responsibility while we encourage others to do same,” he said.
Edited By: Edith Bolokor/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
School feeding programme gulps over N500m during Lockdown – Minister
The Federal Government expended about N523.3 million on school feeding programme during the lockdown against the coronavirus pandemic.
Farouk made the revelation against the rumours and speculations going around one of our key interventions of the government – the Home Grown School Feeding Programme.
She said that the programmed was modified and implemented in three states following a March 29th, Presidential directive.
“It is critical at this juncture to provide details that will help puncture the tissue of lies being peddled in the public space.
“The provision of ‘Take Home Rations’, under the modified Home Grown School Feeding programme, was not a sole initiative of the MHADMSD.
“The ministry, in obeying the Presidential directive, went into consultations with state governments through the state Governor’s Forum, following which it was resolved that ‘take-home rations’, remained the most viable option for feeding children during the lockdown.
“So, it was a joint resolution of the ministry and the state governments to give out take-home rations.
“The stakeholders also resolved that we would start with the FCT, Lagos and Ogun states, as pilot cases,’’ the minister said.
According to her, each takes home ration was valued at N4,200 and that the figure was arrived at with proper consultation.
“So, each household is assumed to have three children.
“Based on the original design of the Home Grown School Feeding programme, long before it was domiciled in the ministry, every child on the programme receives a meal a day.
“The meal costs N70 per child.
“When you take 20 school days per month, it means a child eats food worth N1,400 per month.
“Three children would then eat food worth N4,200 per month and that was how we arrived at the cost of the ‘take-home ration’.
“The agreement was that the federal government will provide the funding while the states will implement.
“To ensure transparency in the process, we partnered with the World Food Programme (WFP) as technical partners.’’
“TrackaNG monitored and gave daily updates validating the programme.
“In the FCT, 29,609 households were impacted, 37,589 households in Lagos and 60,391 in Ogun, making a total of 124,589 households impacted between May 14, and July 6.
“If 124,589 households received take-home rations valued at N4,200, the amount will be N523,273,800.
Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
Custodian Investment moves to purchase 51% equity stake in UPDC
Mr Wole Oshin, Group Managing Director, Custodian Investment, made this known in a statement posted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) on Monday in Lagos.
He said the agreement marked the beginning of a partnership between Custodian and UAC that would achieve both companies’ respective objectives in the real estate industry.
“It also marks a significant milestone aligned with UAC’s strategy to focus on its core businesses,” he stated.
He said the sale shares would be in two tranches initial sale of 946,558,467 shares, representing 5.10 per cent of the issued share capital of UPDC, on execution of binding transaction agreements.
Oshin added that there would be subsequent sale of 8,519,026,201 shares, representing 45.90 per cent of the issued share capital of UPDC upon receipt of requisite approvals.
According to him, completion of the sale is subject to regulatory approvals from the NSE and the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.
Commenting on the transaction, Oshin said the partnership would provide multiple levers for value creation.
“The rationale for the transaction is that Custodian and UAC share the view that their ambitions for capturing opportunity in the real estate industry will be better achieved working in partnership,” he said.
“The transaction is a significant step in achieving our objectives for UPDC.
“In 2018, the Board and Management of UAC embarked on a strategic review to evaluate the performance of the company and its subsidiaries.
“The objective is to achieve sustainable positive financial performance from our existing operations and enable management to focus on businesses that align with our strategy.
“In reviewing UPDC, the board weighed the long-term opportunities in the Nigerian real estate sector against the fundamental differences between the cash flow profile and capital needs of UPDC and those of the other entities in UAC’s portfolio.
“Following its review, the board concluded that it would be in the best interest of UAC to exit its interest in the real estate sector.
” It allows UPDC to operate as a stand alone legal entity, free to source appropriately structured capital and to unlock value for its shareholders,” Aiyesimoju said.
Edited By: Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)
COVID-19: PTF, INEC working on elections protocols- PTF Chairman
Mustapha said: “The national response will continue to guide the adoption of the sector’s specific guidelines and protocols.
“This is just as the PTF is currently concluding discussions with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on the appropriate guidelines to be adopted for elections in some parts of the country.
“The elections will begin with the Aug. 8 by-election in Nasarawa State, to be followed by Edo and Ondo State elections in September and October respectively.
“I, therefore, wish to use this opportunity to implore parties’ leaders, aspirants, members and their supporters to remain mindful of the virulent nature of COVID-19 during electioneering and other election processes.
“We need to remain alive to enjoy the benefits of our democracy.”
He also stated that the PTF would continue to push forward with the community engagement, risk communication and support to the states.
“There is an ongoing surveillance in the high-burden local government areas, just as we ramp up our precision efforts.
“Similarly, the Federal Government is supporting the states to firm up their Incidence Action Plans, preparatory to their accessing the World Bank facility for the fight against COVID-19,” Mustapha said.
According to him, subject to the President’s approval, the report would be presented with the way forward to Nigerians at the next briefing on Aug. 6.
Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)