The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) says it has contributed
to the success story of Nigeria, 59 years after independence.
The Director of Public Affairs for the agency, Dr Jimoh Abubakar, made this assertion on Wednesday in Abuja, as he emphasised
the importance of the agency toward the country’s development.
He said that NAFDAC, created in 1993, had contributed to the wellbeing of Nigerians, particularly in the area of regulating medical and food items to citizens.
He said “first and foremost, I want to draw attention to the very strategic importance of NAFDAC to the overall healthcare delivery system in Nigeria.
“We have to review the assessment in the state of the nationhood in the last 59 years of attaining independence from that perspective as
NAFDAC occupies a major position; it is at the hub of the nation’s healthcare system.
“The issue of quality and safe drugs is at the heart of every other thing in NAFDAC.”
According to him, the drug regulations which are being administered by the agency helped to stabilise the healthcare system and also give
Nigerians access to quality drugs.
He added that NAFDAC had contributed immensely in the regulation and processing of foods, a major factor toward contributing to the nation’s economy.
Abubakar said that the agency also played major role in the regulation of chemicals being used by some industries for the production of other products.
He noted that because of the intervention of NAFDAC in the regulation of packaged water, the issue of cholera reduced drastically.
He said “people no longer hear of cholera anymore, such cases are rare now; NAFDAC has been taking actions to avoid the circulation of unhygienic foods and drugs.”
He also said that NAFDAC had recorded success in the issue of drug abuse menace, peddled by some youths in country, which created insecurity issues in some
parts of the country.
Edited by Zainab Garba/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
- Troops rescue 31 women, children from Boko Haram terrorists in Borno
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Ex-FG Staff Housing Loan Board boss urges public servants to shun disruption
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum