Muhammad Adamu, the Head Coach of Niger Flickers male hockey club, on Wednesday in Abuja said his team was set to fight to return to its glorious past.
Adamu told the News Agency of Nigeria after their match against Police Machine, which ended in a draw, that his team in its present shape was ready for all challenges.
“As former champions of the Hockey Super League competition, we are set to reclaim our place and claim a place among the top sides.
“We want to once more lift up the trophy here in Abuja,’’ he said.
NAN reports that Niger Flickers are currently among the leading sides at the 2019 Hockey Super League currently taking place at the Moshood Abiola National Stadium in Abuja.
Adamu told NAN that his team had won the league title three consecutive times before they lost it to the Kada Stars of Kaduna at the league’s 2018 edition.
“This is our fourth game here. Our wish was to end the game with a win for the three points. but it ended with a draw.
“We had won our three previous games, and we have 10 points now.
“In spite of this setback however, we will try our best to still win this competition.
“We must defend our position as former champions, and return to our glorious days,’’ he said.
Speaking also, Joel Hale, the coach of Police Machine, said he was happy that his team’s opponents who are a stronger team could not defeat them.
“We have 10 points now, because we won three matches and drew the fourth game.
“We will now go back and work on our next match against the Plateau Tigers on Thursday, which must end with a win in our favour.
“Our target is to win the trophy,’’ he said.
NAN reports that a total of eight teams are participating in the men’s competition, while six teams make up the women’s competition.
(Edited by Emmanuel Nwoye and Olawale Alabi)
Ogun schools comply with COVID-19 protocols as students resume
Private and public secondary schools in Ogun on Tuesday reopened for students in the exit class in compliance with the directive of the state government.
Various schools in the state had resorted to online method of teaching to ensure that their students continued to learn.
Gov. Dapo Abiodun on Wednesday, however, directed that schools be opened for students in SS3 to enable them write the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) scheduled to commence on Aug. 17.
NAN correspondents, who visited some schools in Abeokuta metropolis, observed that they all had hand washing buckets and sanitisers at their entrances, corridors and other strategic points in the premises.
Health officials were also on ground at the gates of the schools to take the temperature of students, teachers and visitors before allowing them into the premises.
The students, who wore face masks, also maintained social distancing in sitting arrangement.
“Out of a total number of 148 students in our SS3 classes, no fewer than 97 of them representing about 90 per cent, resumed for classes today,” he said.
He gave an assurance that adequate safety measures had been provided for the students within the school premises.
” We have extended the classes by making use of the ones in the Junior Secondary School and this has enabled us to limit the number of students in each class to 15 to enable us observe social distancing of at least two metres.
“In the event that the temperature of any of the students rises above the normal, such student would be taken to the sick bay.
” If we notice any COVID-19 symptom , such students will be referred to our isolation centre before the parents and officials of the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control are contacted for proper verification,” he said.
The Principal of African Church Grammar School, Mr Adetunji Elegbede, in an interview with NAN at the school said the teachers and other staff members had undergone physical and online training by the government on COVID-19 ahead of resumption.
Elegbede told NAN that in compliance with the the government directive, the school did not insist on the provision of COVID-19 negative test certificate before admitting boarding students into the hostels.
He, however, gave an assurance that adequate arrangements were in place to monitor both the day and the boarding students to ensure that they complied with the COVID -19 protocols.
The principal explained that the task of monitoring the students in the hostels would be much easier since it was only SS3 students that were around.
Elegbede, who could not give the specific number of students who resumed on Tuesday, said ” about 80 per cent of the 481 students in our SS3 classes resumed today.”
The Proprietor of Paragon Secondary School at the Oke-Aregba area, Mr Lawrence Holumide, told NAN at the school that the school had arranged regular health talks for the students in addition to other safety measures that were put in place.
Holumide, who is the National President of the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools(NAPPS), added that the school had reduced the number of students in each of the rooms in its hostels from eight to four in observance of social distancing.
He commended Abiodun for cancelling the order on the provision of COVID-19 negative test certificate as a mandatory requirement for admitting boarding students into the hostels.
“Boarding students in the private schools had earlier been asked to pay N25,000 for the test and we considered such amount too high.
” We, however, thank the governor for reversing such directive to enable all the students to resume,” he said.
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)
Only teachers resume in public secondary schools in Nsukka
Students in exit classes in public secondary schools in Nsukka, Enugu State were yet to resume classes as only teachers were present in schools visited, News Agency of Nigeria reports.
Some of the secondary schools visited by NAN included Urban Girls Secondary School, Nsukka, Urban Boys Secondary School Nsukka , St Catherine Comprehensive Secondary School and Ejiofor Secondary School.
Mrs Roseline Abugu, the Principal of Urban Girls secondary school told NAN in Nsukka on Monday that Enugu State Ministry of Education directed that only teachers in public schools should resume on August 4.
Abugu said this was to enable teachers to help to put in place all the COVID-19 protocols required before students would be allowed to resume.
“We are expecting some people from Enugu State Government that will fumigate the school compound today.
“In my meeting this morning with staff, we have arranged for the clearing of grasses in the compound, provided hand washing buckets, soap and sanitizers in strategic locations inside school compounds and classrooms.
“To ensure physical distancing, no classroom will contain more than 20 students,”she said.
The principal said some students who resumed school were sent back home pending when the state government would approve for students to resume.
‘The State Education Ministry says it will inform us when exit students will resume,” she said.
The story was the same at Urban Boys Secondary School Nsukka.
At Ejiofor Secondary School, Nsukka, a private school, the Principal Mr Casmir Ozioko said students of the school would resume Aug. 10 as staff of the school would use this week to put all necessary arrangements in place.
‘Only teachers resume today, we will use this week to fumigate the compound, clear grasses as well as put all Nigeria Centre for Disease control (NCDC) required protocols in place before allowing exit class students to come back next week,” he said.
However, the story was different at St Catherine Comprehensive Secondary School Nsukka owned by Nsukka Catholic Diocese where students have resumed.
“All students in exit classes after morning assembly today attended a brief seminar organized by the school.
Idoko explained that the aim of the seminar was to teach students on how to maintain personal hygiene, physical distance as well as wearing of face mask and washing of hands.
“All students, staff and visitors coming into the school compound must wear face mask and wash hands at the gate.
“We have put necessary measures in place to ensure the safety of our students, till the end of their exams,” she said.
Edited By: Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)
FIRS clarifies NIPOST’s stamp duty claims
Mr Abdullahi Ismaila Ahmad, Director, Communications and Liaison Department of FIRS made this known in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday.
He stated that it was wrong for the sensitive nature of the issue at stake to be treated in that manner hence the need to correct that in order not to mislead the public.
He said: “To be sure, NIPOST is a government parastatal (agency) established by Decree 41 of 1992 with the function to develop, promote, and provide adequate and efficiently coordinated postal services at reasonable rates.
“This function is clearly contrary to the claim by NIPOST over the administration of stamp duties in Nigeria.
“On the other hand, the FIRS is the sole agency of government charged with the responsibility of assessing, collecting, and accounting for all tax types including Stamp Duties.
“We, therefore, call on right-thinking Nigerians to disregard that ill-advised twit by Mrs Maimuna Abubakar and allied misinformation being disseminated by NIPOST in relation to Stamp Duties’ collection, which by law is the responsibility of the FIRS.”
Edited By: Donald Ugwu (NAN)
Ex-CBN director urges FG to intensify efforts to strengthen nation’s economy
He said that developing the nation’s economy would reduce heavy dependence on foreign countries.
“The nation can refine its petroleum products to meet local demand and export to other countries.
“This development will generate more revenue for Nigeria and help to stabilise the nation’s currency,” Okunrounmu said.
The former CBN director further said that diversifying the nation’s economy could facilitate the overall development of Nigeria.
He said that Nigeria being able to feed its 200 million population through agriculture would have strong impact on the naira.
Okunrounmu further said that a developed economy would help to create job opportunities for the country’s teeming youth, reduce poverty and crime rate in the country.
Edited By: Sam Oditah/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)