Connect with us

Defence/Security

We will spend our last kobo to eliminate Boko Haram – Gov. Zulum

Published

on

 

 

Boko Haram

Maiduguri, June 24, 2019 Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno on Monday assured that the state government would spend its last kobo to support the military and strengthen Civilian JTF and hunters, to eliminate terrorism.

Zulum gave the promise when he received the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, who visited him in Maiduguri.

He vowed that the state government would rise to the challenge of defending the people by supporting the military in terms of intelligence and logistics.

“The chief of army staff, count on me.

“Believe me, the government of Borno state will spend its last Kobo in ensuring that our civilian JTF and hunters are strengthened.

“We cannot afford a situation whereby two persons (terrorists) come with motorcycle or vehicle, ransacking town and killing hundreds of people,’’ he said.

The governor maintained that security was everybody’s business and not only a military affair.

He commended the military, particularly the army for their efforts so far in dealing with terrorists, noting that it was “very difficult to deal with an enemy you do not see.’’

“People do not understand; it very difficult.

“Considering the land mass of Borno state, about 76, 000 kms; it is not easy.’’

He pleaded that military operation should be followed with a stabilisation mechanism, saying “once an area has been liberated, there is the need for the government and military to work out modalities for reconstruction, rehabilitation and resettlement’’.

He added that this should be done with the support of the military and paramilitary organisations

“Without this, an area liberated can be taken over by insurgents.’’

The governor also pointed out that to achieve success in the fight against terrorism, the root causes of Boko Haram must be addressed.

He listed some of them as unemployment, endemic poverty, high illiteracy, poor socio-economic infrastructure and climate change.

“Right now, over 80 per cent of our population (Borno), including the youth and able bodied men, are unemployed.

“The situation is catastrophic, and unless we address the root causes of these problems, I think we cannot make any meaningful progress,’’ he said.

Zulum said that the mainstay of the state’s economy was agriculture but regretted that over 90 per cent of the population did not have access to farmland due insurgency.

“The area under cultivation in the last 10 years is less than that of the last two years.

“We are getting some significant improvement. This year, 2019, we are also getting more significant improvement.

“One area that the people of Borno wish to collaborate with the military and the police is to have access to their farmland,’’ he said.

Earlier, Buratai had congratulated the governor on his election and assured that the military was working out solution to insecurity in the state and the North-East.

Buratai also said that the military was moving into the stabilization phase in the region and pleaded for more support.

Foreign

Nigerian troops intensify fight against Boko Haram militants

Published

on

By

The Nigerian troops had achieved encouraging results in recent operations against extremist group Boko Haram and other gunmen groups across the restive northern region, a military spokesperson said.

John Enenche, Nigeria‘s defense spokesperson, said in a statement reaching Xinhua in Lagos on Friday that dozens of militants had been killed while many others surrendered in operations by the troops between Monday and Wednesday.

One soldier was killed and another wounded in one operation, Enenche added.

He said in continuation of the clearance operations across the northeast, troops of Army Super Camp 6 on Wednesday in conjunction with Borno state Civilian Joint Task Force, conducted a deliberate ambush operation against Boko Haram militants at Lawanti River line in Konduga of Borno state, killing six of them while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

Relatedly, the military spokesperson said the troops had on Tuesday an encounter with some Boko Haram militants at Daban Magaji in Borno, killing 9 of them and destroying one Boko Haram gun truck as well as capturing one anti-aircraft gun, two rifles and a large cache of anti-aircraft ammunition.

He said troops of 144 Battalion deployed in Madagali of Adamawa state on Monday briskly cleared Boko Haram camps at several villages in the area. During the encounter at Gajinji village, troops killed one militant and arrested 2 adult females identified to be the local Boko Haram commander’s wives.

Furthermore, resulting from sustained artillery bombardments and ground assaults against Boko Haram hideouts in the northeast, more militants are surrendering to the troops in recent days, according to Enenche.

Speaking on the fight against bandits in the northwest, Enenche said troops of Operation Whirl Punch acting on credible information raided on Wednesday a bandits’ camp in Chikun local government area of Kaduna state, killing two of them while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

He said the troops will continue to be steadfast and focused as they sustain the onslaught against Boko Haram and other militant groups.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Boko Haram: Drivers offer free rides to returning residents of Auno

Published

on

As residents of Auno town in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno, troop back home following assurance of adequate security by Gov. Babagana Zulum, commercial drivers plying Maiduguri-Damaturu road, are giving them free ride.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that residents of Auno which is few kilometres from Maiduguri, deserted the town in February following an insurgents attack that led to many deaths and destruction of properties.

A driver, Bukar Gwange, said that the gesture was part of the drivers  support to the returnees as they wish to see the once bubbling town bounce back to life.

“Auno is a place we use to get passengers and loads to and fro Maiduguri. When the sad incident happened in February, we were sad as it affected many of our colleagues and passengers.

“Now that the residents are returning home, we feel the best we can do is to give them free ride,”Gwange said.

Another driver, Ali Mohammed, told NAN that they always picked the returnees at Njimtilo area, in the outskirt of Maiduguri.

He said that after dropping the returnees in Auno, the driver used the opportunity to pick passengers who are going back to Maiduguri from Ngamdu and Beneshiek

“That way, we get little money to ease the hardship caused by the lockdown due to the existing ban on inter state travels,” Mohammed said.

Dauda Mustafa, another commercial driver, said the free ride was a blessing in disguise as security personnel along the road also appreciated the gesture and no longer  subject them to tedious screenings and delays.

Meanwhile, Gov. Zulum had already directed that an operational outreach office where he would be working from time-to-time, be set up for him in Auno,  so as to boost the people’s confidence.

The governor has also established zonal office of the state Rapid Response Squad, made up of police, hunters, vigilante and Civilian Joint Task Force in Auno.

According to the Commander of the squad, CSP Abioye Babalola, the team would not only ensure security in Auno and its environs, but also be on constant patrol and respond to distress calls along the busy Maiduguri-Damaru road.


Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

73 Boko Haram militants killed in NE Nigeria

Published

on

By

Nigerian troops have killed 73 Boko Haram militants including senior members of the sect in an operation in the restive northeastern state of Borno, a military spokesperson said Wednesday.

In a statement sent to Xinhua, defense spokesperson John Enenche said the operation carried out last week confirmed the death of some high ranking commanders of Boko Haram alongside other militants.

Many others wounded with narrow chances of survival during the operation, Enenche said, noting that a large number of equipment of the militants including gun trucks, motorcycles and bicycles were destroyed by the troops.

The military operation follows a failed attack by the militants on a military base at Banki Junction in Borno, said Enenche.

Boko Haram has been trying to establish an Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria since 2009, extending its attacks to countries in the Lake Chad Basin, posing enormous security, humanitarian and governance challenges to countries including Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Benin and Niger.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists lose more high ranking commanders, equipment to Nigerian troops

Published

on

The Boko Haram/Islamic States West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists have lost more high ranking commanders to Nigerian troops following a failed attack on troops’ location at Banki Junction and Firgi in Borno, recently.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

Enenche said that troops of Operation Lafya Dole (OPLD) on May 26, killed high ranking commanders of the Abubakar Shekau’s faction of the Boko Haram terrorist’ group during a counter attack against the terrorists.

He explained that the Boko Haram/ISWAP commanders that were killed include Manzar Halid, Amir Abu Fatima and Nicap among others with 72 fighters of the sect also neutralised in the attack.

According to him, others wounded with narrow chances of survival include some high profile commanders and fighters are, namelyamratu AL-Naweer, Kaka Bana and Tareta Babakari.

“Equally, a large number of their equipment including gun trucks, motorcycles and bicycles were destroyed by troops in collaboration with the Air Task Force during fighters’ withdrawal which was in disarray.

“Furthermore, credible information indicates  that the camp is in chaos and presently unable to conduct any offensive due to heavy losses.

“Additionally, the blockade of their spy routes, networks, crossing points and logistics supplies had further crippled the terrorists and limited their freedom of movement and action to the advantage of own troops.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, congratulates the gallant troops for their resilience, courage and dedication to ending the North-East security challenge.

The High Command of the Armed Forces of Nigeria hereby encourages all troops of OPLD to sustain the onslaught against the terrorists,” he said.


Edited By: Joseph Edeh and Abdullahi Yusuf (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Nigerian military says scores of Boko Haram militants surrender

Published

on

By

Scores of Boko Haram militants, including senior commanders, have surrendered to government troops in northeast Nigeria, a military spokesman said on Monday.

The militants’ surrender came after the government’s sustained Operation Lafiya Dole offensive, John Enenche, the military spokesperson, confirmed to Xinhua in a statement.

Enenche did not give the exact number of Boko Harm militants who have surrendered.

Boko Haram has been trying to establish an Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria since 2009, extending its attacks to countries in the Lake Chad Basin, posing enormous security, humanitarian and governance challenges to countries including Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Benin and Niger.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

Boko Haram: Gov. Zulum pledges to rebuild houses destroyed in Gajiganna attack

Published

on

Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno has promised to rebuilt the houses destroyed by insurgents in Gaganna community of Magumeri Local Government Area of the state.

He made the pledge on Friday in Gajiganna, while consoling the people on the recent attack on the village where 17 people were killed and 23 others injured.

Zulum who also made some cash donation to the affected families during the visit, assured them of government’s sustained effort to address the security challenge.

He called for sustained prayers and maximum support to security agencies to contain the insurgency in the state.

Some residents of the village who spoke, lauded the governor for his concern and promised to support the various government’s efforts to bring lasting peace to the area and the state in general.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the governor was accompanied by Rep. Usman Zanna (Magumeri/Gubio/Kaga Federal Constituency) during the visit.

Special prayers were offered for peace in the area and the repose of the souls of those killed in the attack.

Edited By: Angela Okisor/Ejike Obeta (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Nigerian troops rescue 241 Boko Haram captives in NE state

Published

on

By

Nigerian troops rescued 241 people held hostage by terror group Boko Haram in the restive northeastern state of Borno in a recent operation, the defense headquarters said on Thursday.

The hostages included 105 women and 136 children, and they were rescued at Mudu town during a clearance operation by the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole on Sunday, said John Enenche, a spokesman for the defense headquarters, adding the rescued persons are currently under medical observation.

Enenche said the troops also killed 12 Boko Haram terrorists in the operation with no loss of life or equipment from the troops.

Boko Haram has been trying to establish an Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria since 2009, extending its attacks to countries in the Lake Chad Basin, posing enormous security, humanitarian and governance challenges to countries including Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Benin and Niger.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Nigerian military kills 599 Boko Haram militants, gunmen in operations

Published

on

By

A total of 599 Boko Haram militants and members of other criminal gangs were killed across the northern region of Nigeria during various operations this month, the military said on Thursday.

The operations conducted between May 6 and May 28 cut across the northeast region, where the Boko Haram group has held sway for over a decade, as well as the northwest and central regions where gunmen to perpetrate various crimes, the military said in a statement reaching Xinhua in Abuja.

The military said following the operations which were jointly conducted by the armed forces, the activities of terrorists and criminals in the country “had been considerably degraded.”

A total of 188 Boko Haram militants were killed during the operations, including their senior commanders, said the military’s statement. It also disclosed that the terror group’s logistics facilities, gun trucks, and other structures were destroyed as well as recovery of weapons within the period.

Several other Boko Haram militants suffered various degrees of gunshot wounds with narrow chances of survival, according to the military. “This is in addition to several others killed in air bombardments. The troops also rescued a total of 236 civilians — women and children, who were abducted by the terrorists,” the statement said further.

A total of 411 gunmen or members of various criminal gangs were also eliminated during the Operation Hadarin Daji taking place conducted by the military in the northwest and central regions of the country.

The military said the aim of these latest operations was to restore peace to every troubled region of the country.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Nigerian troops destroy Boko Haram’s base

Published

on

By

Nigerian troops have destroyed a logistics base of Boko Haram militants during a raid in the country’s northeast region, defense authorities said on Wednesday.

The logistics base also served as a training camp at Njimia on the fringes of the Sambisa forest, said Nigerian Defense Spokesman John Enenche.

He said the operation targeted terrorist groups in the restive northeast.

The attack was achieved due to intelligence reports and a series of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions, said Enenche.

The spokesman said the military would maintain its efforts to completely destroy all remnants of the terrorists in the northeast region.

Boko Haram’s over-a-decade violent insurgency has posed a big security threat to Nigeria and its neighboring countries, causing thousands of deaths and displacement of millions of people since 2009.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also