Connect with us

General news

We’ll make Kogi safe from crime, criminality, Govt. assures citizens

Published

on

We’ll make Kogi safe from crime, criminality, Govt. assures citizens

The Kogi government has restated its commitment to ensuring that the state is safe from all forms of crime and criminality.


The state Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr Kingsley Fanwo, said this in a statement issued on Friday in Lokoja.

He stressed the need for all stakeholders and citizens to come together and rededicate themselves to the system that had earned Kogi commendations as one of best states in the area of security.

”It is time for all of us to come together to rededicate ourselves and thrust our trust in the system that has earned us commendations as one of the best states in the area of security.

”The latest onslaught against our state and our people is unfortunate and sad. We stand with the families that lost their loved ones and breadwinners to the cowards in the garbs of criminals. They won’t lose their lives in vain.

”The state government wishes to also allay the fears of travellers on our roads. Our style is not different from the global standards, which stipulate that security strategies must not become a public product.

”But we are doing everything any responsible government should do to ensure security of lives and property of our people,” Fanwo said.

He sympathised with the armed forces for the personnel who were lost to the men of the underworld.

The commissioner assured that the losses would not bend government’s resolve to make the state a hard place for criminals to perpetrate their heinous crimes.

”It is no time for anyone to spread rumours and trade blames or release travel directories that could drive fears into our people.

”This administration, under the leadership of Gov. Yahaya Bello, will change the narrative in a couple of days,” Fanwo said.

He assured that high level security plans and strategies had been put in place to reappraise the situation and devise new security architecture to address the ugly trend.

The commissioner added: ”Our security agents have the capacity to stamp the pockets of criminal activities out of the state. We are winning the war.

”We urge the people of Kogi to support our efforts, plans and the security agencies in order to reestablish our capacity to ensure security across the state.

”To our people, government is with you. Our roads are safe, as security personnel have been deployed to handle the emerging threats and for effective intelligence gathering to ensure that our people are safe while travelling on our roads.”

Edited By: Modupe Adeloye and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Stephen Adeleye: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Foreign

30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM

Published

on


Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.


The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol  Unit on

Tuesday.

The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.

According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.

The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.

“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.

“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary,  Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.

He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.

The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.

“The diplomat commended  efforts of  the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of  55 of the girls,” he said.

Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.

Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.

He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission,  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.

“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.

“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.

“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.

Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court sentences man to 1 year imprisonment for impersonation

Published

on


A Gwagwalada Chief Magistrates’ Court, FCT on Tuesday sentenced one Ja’afar Adamu to one year imprisonment for impersonating as a staff of the State Security Service (SSS).


Adamu of Egume village, Dekina LGA of  Kogi, had pleaded guilty to the two-count charge of impersonation and forgery preferred against him.

The Magistrate, Aliyu Shafa, however sentenced Adamu to six months imprisonment for each offence or an option of N5,000 fine for each offence.

Shafa cited the Holy Bible and Quran to buttress his sentencing, adding that he was satisfied with the evidences given by the defence witnesses about the good character of the defendant.

He said the punishment would serve as a deterrent to anyone planning to trail that part in the future.

Shafa also warned Adamu to desist from committing crimes and be of good behaviour.

Earlier, the defence counsel, Khalid Salaw, pleaded with the court to tamper justice with mercy, adding that the defendant was a family man with four children and a pregnant wife.

Salaw said that the defendant was a first offender and had no criminal record or arrest in the past.

The defence counsel told the court that the defendant had learnt his lessons and would not repeat the act in future.

The prosecutor counsel, Victor Ejelonu told the court that the defendant cheated by impersonating as a staff of SSS at varying locations within Abuja while conveying passengers.

Ejelonu said that the defendant also forged the identity card of SSS with his name and logo of the SSS, FCT with force No. FCA332449.

He said that the offence contravened the provisions of Sections 321 and 363 of the Penal Code.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Obike Ukoh (NAN)

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: NGO donates protective equipment to hospitals in Kogi

Published

on


An NGO, Centre for Integrated Health Programmes (CIHP), has donated


Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to hospitals across the 21 local government areas of Kogi as measures

against COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Mr Akpa Patrick, the State Programme Director of CIHP, handed over

the PPEs to Dr Usman Zakari, the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of Kogi Hospitals Management Board (KHMB) in Lokoja.

According to him, CIHP is a United States-funded NGO, through the Centre for Disease Control Atlanta, which has been supporting

the provision of comprehensive high-quality, family focused services to patients, including adults and children.

Patrick said “we are currently in about four states in Nigeria, including Kogi.

“We have been on ground since 2007, supporting the state to cater for the treatment, care and support people living with

.”

He noted that the NGO had earlier donated PPEs such as overall wears, spraying machines to hospitals and isolation centres

in April, saying “this was the second tranche of the donation.

“We did the first donation in April and we are donating the second tranche today in our bid to prevent infections among

healthcare workers, especially those at the frontline in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The COVID-19 pandemic is no more history, it has become a new normal with us and across the world.”

The CIHP programme director noted that aside supporting the primary, secondary and tertiary public healthcare facilities,

the NGO had also been supporting private and faith-based hospitals in Kogi.

He added that “we are hoping that as soon as these PPEs are exhausted, we will supply more to hospitals.”

The KHMB chief medical director commended the NGO for the gesture, saying ”everywhere in the world, healthcare

workers are those in the frontline in the fight against the deadly virus.”

He said CIHP had been supporting hospitals in Kogi with logistics, medical equipment and everything around ,

tuberculosis and sometimes malaria.

‘He added that CIHP brought many PPEs to hospitals in Kogi for frontline health workers; they have donated before, and they are donating again.

“The management of KHMB is receiving the equipment on behalf of the state government for onward distribution to hospitals across

the 21 local government areas.”

Items donated included hand gloves, N-95 respirators, surgical face masks, hand sanitisers, and sodium hypochloride used as disinfectants.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Tribal association honours illustrous sons, daughters in Kogi

Published

on


The Igala Cultural and Development Association (ICDA), a socio-cultural group in Kogi state on Sunday conferred Merit Awards on 24 of its illustrous sons and daughters  for their contributions to societal  development.


Alhaji Abubakar Sadiq, president of the association, while speaking at the 2020 Igala Merit Award ceremony in Anyigba, said the awardees including Chief Yusuf Okpanachi, a philanthropist, were so honoured for their outstanding contributions towards the upliftment of Igala Kingdom.

Sadiq noted that Okpanachi had embarked on varous intervention projects across rural communities in Igala land, such as provision of  potable water, roads, electricity, health facility as well as women and youth empowerment.

He described Okpanachi as a worthy son of the Igala Kingdom whose interventions had positively  touched the lives of the vulnerable and downtrodden.

The ICDA president explained that the “2020 Igala Merit Award” was meant for those who had contributed immensely to the development of their immediate communities as well as those who distinguished themselves in their various fields of endeavour.

He said the “Ugbono of Igala Kingdom” award given to Okpanachi is the highest category in the land which entitled him to use Commander of Igala Kingdom (CIK) in his name.

Okpanachi, in his remarks, thanked ICDA for recognising his efforts and assured that the honour would spur him to do more for the people.

 

Also speaking  at the event, Chief  Edward Onoja, Deputy Governor of Kogi State, described ICDA as the only platform that could be effectively used to achieve the needed peace, unity and harmonious relationship in Igala land.

“The greatness of Igala Kingdom should be our major priority. We should be concerned in assisting in the provision of infrastructure for the development of our people as governments worldwide cannot do it all alone,” Onoja said.

Responding on behalf of other recipients,  Abdullahi Halims, lawmaker representing Ankpa/Omala/Olamaboro Federal Constituency at the House of Representatives, commended ICDA for the initiative to honour deserving Igala sons and daughters.

He urged the association to sustain the the spirit of encouragement saying that it would spur well meaning citizens to support the less privileged in the society.

Edited By: Isaac Ukpoju (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed Multiple taxes: Petroleum dealers in Anambra threaten shutdown, gives 21 day ultimatum