Women Environmental Programme (WEP) in collaboration with stakeholders in the environment sector staged a walk in Abuja on Friday to educate the public on what should be response to climate change.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager of WEP, Miss Tracy Nguavese, identified refinery and industrial carbon emissions as major contributors to climate change.
“Trees planting would go a long way in reducing the emissions; we hold Climate Action March to create awareness on climate change.
“As you can see there has been a lot of efforts to curb carbon emissions that bring about climate change and change in weather.
“So, we had a march from Area I roundabout to Area 10 and then we came to LEA primary school to plant trees as a symbol of our commitment to the environment.
“Many students and teachers came out and we planted the trees together. We hope that the trees will be nurtured by the school as a contribution to reduce emissions in Nigeria,” Nguavese said.
Mrs Mato Juliana, Assistant Head Teacher Academic, LEA Primary school Area 10, Garki, Abuja, commended the management of WEP for providing tree seedlings to the school.
Juliana said that with the provision of tree seedlings, the school management would continue to encourage students to plant and nurture trees.
“If you plant trees, ozone depletion will seize and with the help of trees, excessive heat we have now will be reduced.
“We also have economic trees that can produce fruits and vegetables for all of us.
“So, if we encourage our children to plant trees, everyone and unborn generation will enjoy it in future,” Juliana said.
Edited & Vetted By: Emmanuel Nwoye/Kayode Olaitan
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members
- $22.7 loan request meant for infrastructure- FG
- A’Ibom 2020 budget: Group says N4bn for education “too paltry”
- Katsina state govt. establishes 5 new irrigation schemes
- Sudan: Al-Bashir questioned over 1989 coup that brought him to power
- FG launches N46.83bn agric. scheme in 9 oil producing states
- Zambia gov’t says ready for talks to abolish death penalty
- Oyo govt. reinstates 300 sacked workers
- CBi launches National Integrity Barometer to tackle corruption