RB Leipzig forward, Timo Werner, scored two second-half goals to secure an impressive 2-1 win at Benfica in their opening Champions League Group D match on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old finished off a neat Leipzig move to break the deadlock in the 69th minute.
This was after Nordi Mukiele threaded the ball into the area where Yussuf Poulsen laid it off for Werner to drive a low shot into the far corner.
Nine minutes later, the ball was chipped over the Benfica defence to release Marcel Sabitzer and he rolled into the path of Werner who scored again for the Bundesliga side.
The goal was initially disallowed for offside but awarded after a quick VAR review.
Benfica had threatened either side of Werner’s opener.
Pizzi nearly gave the Eagles the lead with a shot which flashed across the face of goal and Alex Grimaldo saw a dipping free kick brilliantly turned away by Peter Gulacsi immediately afterwards.
The Portuguese side finally scored in the 84th minute when a quick break ended with substitute Haris Seferovic firing past Gulacsi but they could not force an equaliser.
Leipzig top the group ahead of Olympique Lyonnais and Zenit St Petersburg who earlier drew 1-1 in the group’s other match. (Reuters/)
Edited by Dianabasi Effiong/Maharazu Ahmed
- Woman prays court to grant her custody of 2-yr son
- Court remands labourer for allegedly defiling neighbour’s daughter
- NYSC SAED will prepare you for the challenges of unemployment, Okpongete charges corps members
- 14 political parties to participate in Adamawa local council election
- NASA tracks swarm of asteroids zooming toward earth at breakneck speed
- Cleric urges Nigerians to pray for leaders irrespective of differences
- Kogi guber: Attack on SDP secretariat a threat to democracy – Ondo SDP
- EU lawyer: Jailed Catalan leader should have EU parliament immunity
- Asylum seekers cannot lose shelter, food as punishment – EU court
- Kaduna Govt., CS-SUNN train committee on effective nutrition coordination
- Bayelsa poll: Court disqualifies APC deputy governorship candidate over false information
- World Pneumonia Day: Nigeria contributes highest number of child pneumonia globally – UNICEF
- Britain’s opposition Labour Party reports sophisticated cyber attack
- Adegboyega varsity to establish agro-solar power project -VC
- Security: Gov. Matawalle urges repentant bandits to sustain peace
- Thai police arrest 4 suspects over murder of Karen activist
- Amaechi, Peterside mourn death of Prof Tam David-West
- Kano Assembly urges government to construct access road in Kiru LGA
- Most states not implementing Contributory Pension Scheme — PENCOM report
- Russian PM endorses production of ebola vaccine for DRC, others at Novosibirsk facility