Wolverhampton Wanderers boosted their hopes of qualifying for the 2020/2021 UEFA Champions League with a 3-0 home win over Everton in the English Premier League (EPL) on Sunday.
Victory lifted Nuno Espirito Santo’s side up to sixth in the standings —- four points behind fourth-placed Leicester City who faced Bournemouth later on Sunday.
Wolves took the lead in first half stoppage time when Daniel Podence was fouled by Lucas Digne.
Raul Jimenez maintained his 100 percent penalty kick conversion rate this season to score his 16th goal of the league campaign.
Leander Dendoncker doubled the lead straight after the interval when he directed a glancing header past the outstretched arm of Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.
Diogo Jota made it 3-0 after midfielder Ruben Neves found him with a pinpoint cross-field ball.
The Portuguese forward chested it down before firing an emphatic half-volley past Pickford at the near post.
Everton remained in 11th place with three matches left in the season.
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
- Barca’s Pique calls for wholesale changes after “shameful” defeat
- INEC seeks stakeholders collaboration in instituting electoral transparency
- Bayern Munich must stay grounded in spite of Barca demolition, coach says
- FC Barcelona’s Umtiti tests positive for COVID-19
- Bauchi Gov. condoles family of murdered lawmaker, Mante
- Football united behind Infantino, FIFA general secretary says
- Council approves health care provision fund guideline
- Labour ministry denies complicity in human trafficking
- UN ‘strongly condemns’ rights abuses in Cameroon
- Tourism operators reveal Top 10 romantic destinations for honeymoon in Nigeria