Connect with us

General news

Woman, child die in petrol tanker fire incident in Onitsha- Police

Published

on

The Police in Anambra have confirmed the death of yet to be identified woman and her child following petrol tanker fire incident recorded on Wednesday in Onitsha.

SP Haruna Mohammed, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state confirmed the death in a statement issued to journalists in Awka.

Mohammed said that the bodies of the unidentified woman and her baby, who were burnt beyond recognition by the inferno, had been deposited at the Toronto Hospital, Onitsha.

He said that the fire, which started at about 12:59 pm, occurred when a tanker carrying petroleum product lost control and fell around Upper Iweka area of Onitsha.

“The petroleum product later caught fire and affected many shops and houses,” he said.

The police spokesperson said that the Commissioner of Police in Anambra, Mr John Abang, had visited the scene for on the spot assessment.

Haruna appealed to residents of Onitsha to remain calm while men of the Fire Service department combat the fire.

The PPRO said that consequent upon the unruly conduct of some street boys, the police patrol teams had cordoned off the area to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage to loot while efforts were still ongoing to put out the fire.

An eye witness had told NAN that no fewer than four persons have so far died in the incident as the fire later spread to Ochanga Market, Onitsha.

“The fire started in front of Toronto Hospital Onitsha, before it spread to Ochanga Market area.

“I saw four lifeless persons, while a number of persons are still trapped in a building still burning,” he said. (NAN)

FEO/MNA

Edited by Maureen Atuonwu

 

Judiciary

Man in court for allegedly swindling businesswoman of N5m

Published

on

The police on Friday arraigned a 31-year-old man, Stephen Samson, in an Area court in Mpape, Abuja for allegedly cheating a businesswoman of N5 million.

The police charged Samson, 31, with criminal conspiracy and cheating.

The Prosecution Counsel, Mr G.J. Ayanna told the court that the defendant was arrested and taken to the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) in the Office of the Inspector-General of Police.

He alleged that sometime in 2019, the defendant pretended to be the Managing director of Iconic Rime international Ltd where he approached Mrs Esosa Aroki of B25, Lokogoma Globe Estate, Abuja on a business proposal.

Ayanna said the defendant asked her to invest N5 million and promised her N8 million in 40 days.

He said after the defendant collected the money, he absconded and when the complainant tried to call, he refused to take his calls.

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 97 and 322 of the Penal Code.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Judge, Abdullahi Ogedengbe , admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N1.5 million with one reasonable surety in like sum.GL14 officer in the Civil Service.

He adjourned the case until July 3 for hearing.


Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

3 brothers in Police net over alleged murder of woman in Abuja

Published

on

Three brothers have been arrested in connection with the murder of a woman in Abuja,

according to Mr Frank Mba, Public Relations of the Police Force.

Mba, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja, said that the suspects, from Isiekenesi, Ideato Local Government in Imo, are helping Police investigation into the May 14 murder of Mrs Janet Ogbonnaya, a mother of five children.

He said that the suspects were arrested by the Police in their home town where they had allegedly taken refuge after committing the crime in Abuja, to evade arrest.

Mba said that investigation that led to their arrest followed complaints by one Chinedu Ogbonnaya, who alleged that his mother, Janet, 55, a native of Ozuitem in Bende Local Government Area of Abia, had been kidnapped.

Ogbonnaya told the Police that N5 million ransom was being demanded by the kidnappers to secure the mother’s release.

“A comprehensive and painstaking investigation by Police operatives resulted in the arrest of the three suspects, who, in the course of interrogation, revealed that the victim had long been murdered and buried.

“Further findings revealed that the victim, a widow, who had been a Facebook friend of the principal suspect, was lured from her home in Gwagwalada, Abuja to visit the suspect.

“The suspect took advantage of the visit, served her milk laced with drugs, and subsequently murdered her,” he said.

According to him, the victim was buried in a septic tank afterwhich the suspects went ahead to reach out to the family, using her phone, to demand N5 million ransom to secure her release.   ​

Mba said that the suspects, on Thursday, led a team of investigators alongside pathologists to a residence at Wumba District, Lokogoma area of Abuja, where the victim’s decomposing body was exhumed from a septic tank.

The spokesman said that the exhumed body had been taken to the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital for forensic examination, while a Toyota Highlander Jeep belonging to the deceased had also been recovered at a mechanic workshop in Apo, where it had been repainted into a different colour.

Mba said that the vehicle documents had been fraudulently changed with ownership of the stolen vehicle criminally transferred to one of the masterminds of the crime.

According to him, investigation also revealed that the house where the deceased was killed and buried originally belonged to one of the suspects but was hurriedly sold to a third party to obliterate evidence.

Already, the Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu, has commended the team of Police operatives for a job well done. He has also pledged that perpetrators of crimes will not go undetected and unpunished.

The Police helmsman has also enjoined citizens to be more security conscious and report any suspicious activities within their neighbourhood to the nearest Police Station,” the statement said.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and Ephraims Sheyin (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Metro

Woman dies in Anambra road accident 

Published

on

A crash at Egbebele, along Abatete-Oraukwu road, in Orumba North, Anambra, has left one person dead and two others injured.

Mr Andrew Kumapayi, the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Anambra, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Awka on Thursday.

Kumapayi said the accident, which occurred at about 3:04p.m., could be attributed to the driver losing control of the vehicle due to excessive speed.

“Three victims were involved: two male adults and one female adult. They were in a Toyota Hiace bus with registration number AKD 758 FR.

“The driver lost control of the vehicle due to overspeeding and crashed into the bush.

“The victims were rushed to Iyi-Enu Hospital, where the female victim was confirmed dead and the corpse deposited at the morgue of the same hospital.

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force and NIgeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were instrumental in the rescue operation,” he said.

According to an earlier report, another accident, involving four male adults, occurred at about 10:25.a.m. under the River Niger Bridge in Onitsha.

Kumapayi said the crash involved a Toyota Dyna, with registration number GDD 551 YE and a Suzuki vehicle, with registration number GDD 841ZP.

“The crash was caused by loss of control, with one person sustaining serious injury, while three others sustained minor injuries.

“The victims were rushed to Toronto Hospital Onitsha by the FRSC rescue team from Onitsha Unit Command,” he said.

While condoling with the family of the dead, the sector commander warned motorists against speed limit violation.


Edited By: Moses Solanke/Oluwole Sogunle (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police arrests man over alleged rape of 85-year-old woman in Niger

Published

on

The Police Command in Niger has arrested one Peter Ayemoba, of Rafin Sanyi area in Suleja Local Government Area, for allegedly having carnal knowledge of his two daughters.

The police also announced the arrest of another suspect who allegedly raped an 85-year-old woman.

ASP Wasiu Abiodun, Command Public Relation Officer (PPRO), disclosed this while addressing newsmen in Minna on Thursday.

Abiodun said that Ayemoba had sexually assaulted his daughters, now aged 20 and 23, between 2013 and 2019.

“Investigation revealed that the suspect usually threatened to kill them and commit suicide if they denied him carnal knowledge,” the PPRO said.

He also said that police detectives attached to Kagara division in Rafi Local Government Area have arrested one Ezekiel Yonana, 25, for raping an 85-year-old woman in Tukunguna village.

Abiodun said the incident occurred on May 23 at about 23:00 am while the old woman was asleep.

According to the PPRO, the suspect, a resident of Unguwar Ya’u Tunguna village criminally trespassed into her room and threatened to kidnap her or paid him some money.

“The suspect forcefully had canal knowledge of the 85-year-old before she was rescued by her grandson.”

Abiodun said that the two suspects had confessed to the crime and would be charged to court.

He appealed to residents to volunteer information about suspected criminal elements in their midst.

AAG /MZA

Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Police arrest man, 25, for allegedly raping 70-year-old woman

Published

on

The Police Command in Ogun, said on Thursday, that it had arrested a 25-year-old Wasiu Bankole for alleged forceful carnal knowledge of a 70-year-old woman.

The command’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, made this disclosure in a statement in Abeokuta.

The spokesman said that Bankole allegedly committed the offence on Tuesday at Abule Lemode area of Ijoko in Ifo Local Government Area of the state.

Oyeyemi stated that the suspect was arrested on Wednesday following a report by the victim at the Agbado Divisional Police Station.

He said that the suspect allegedly broke into the septuagenarian’s house at 8 p.m. on Tuesday to commit the alleged offence.

“The victim stated further that it was one of her neighbours, who heard her screaming that came to rescue her by using a stick to hit the suspect on his back.

“The victim added that the suspect immediately jumped off her and ran away, leaving his clothes, shoes and torchlight inside her room.

Upon the report, the DPO, Agbado Division, SP Kuranga Yero, dispatched detectives to look for the suspect in order to bring him to justice.

“The detectives succeeded in getting him arrested on Wednesday around Ijoko area and brought him to the station.

“On interrogation, he confessed to committing the crime but claimed to have acted under the influence of alcohol.

“The victim has been taken to the hospital for medical attention”.

Oyeyemi said the Commissioner of Police, Kenneth Ebrimson, had ordered the transfer of the suspect to the Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Labour Unit, State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID) for further investigation.


Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Yemi Idris-Aduloju (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Palestinian woman makes ice cream rolls at shop

Published

on

By

Palestinian woman Fatima Al-Zatma makes ice cream rolls at her ice cream shop in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah, May 31, 2020. (Photo by Khaled Omar/Xinhua)

Continue Reading

Foreign

UNIFIL awards Chinese woman for exceptional role in peacekeeping in S. Lebanon

Published

on

By

The UN Interim Forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL) awarded a Chinese female major on Friday for her work to integrate a gender perspective into the military functions, the UNIFIL said in a statement.

UNIFIL Chief Stefano Del Col presented Major Yuan Xin of UNIFIL‘s Chinese contingent with the UN Certificate of Recognition award on behalf of the UN peacekeeping chief Jean-Pierre Lacroix.

“I am particularly pleased to recognize the achievements of Maj Xin today in her role in the area of demining, a vital component of operational effectiveness and protection of civilian,” Del Col said.

Del Col made the statement on the occasion of the International Day of UN Peacekeepers held at the UNIFIL‘s headquarters in Naqoura, which paid tribute to the contribution of uniformed and civilian personnel and honored more than 3,900 peacekeepers who lost their lives serving under the UN flag around the world since 1948.

This year, the UN peacekeeper’s day marks the 20th anniversary of the adoption of the Security Council Resolution 1325 on women, peace and security and commemorates the key role of women in peacekeeping.

“I would like to express my great pride for the immense contribution of female peacekeepers at UNIFIL,” said Major General Del Col.

He commended all UNIFIL personnel for their “exceptional service and hard work” in ensuring that the UN Mission continues to carry out its operational activities 24/7 and delivers on its mandate even under “these most trying of circumstances.”

“This year, the challenges and threats faced by our peacekeepers are even greater than ever. Despite the risk of COVID-19, they are continuing their operations and supporting the governments and the local populations,” he said.

In December 2002, the UN General Assembly designated May 29 as the International Day of UN Peacekeepers in order to pay tribute to the professionalism, dedication and courage of all the men and women serving in uniform and as civilians in UN peacekeeping operations, and honor the memory of those who have lost their lives for peace.

The global theme of this year’s observance is “Women in Peacekeeping: A Key to Peace.”

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

82-year-old woman recovers from coronavirus in Osun

Published

on

The Osun Government says an 82-year-old woman recovered from the coronavirus disease in the state, against the belief that elderly people with chronic diseases are the highest risk group.

Dr Rafiu Isamotu, the State Commissioner for Health, confirmed the recovery in a statement on Friday in Osogbo.

Isamotu said that the woman, who was hypertensive, recovered from the virus after receiving treatment for nine days at the isolation and treatment centre, Asubiaro General Hospital, Osogbo.

He said that the woman, a widow, was confirmed positive and admitted into the facility on May 13.

According to him, the octogenarian recovering from COVID-19 beats the odds as elderly people with chronic diseases are the highest risk group because, most of the time, they are unable to recover from the disease.

He explained that the patient, who contracted the disease while in contact with an infected person, showed no symptoms of the virus before her sample was collected, except for diarrhoea.

“The story of the 82-year-old widow provides a glimmer of hope, considering that she is a hypertensive patient on medication.

“Although, when she arrived at our isolation centre on the May 13, she had no cough, difficulty in breathing, sore throat, fever or anosmia associated with the virus, except for diarrhoea.

“We successfully treated her for it and she was stable all through the period of hospitalisation.

“On her 9th day of admission, we carried out a follow-up polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on her and the result came back negative and she was subsequently discharged on the May 24.

“Furthermore, a follow-up at her home after her discharge revealed that she was stable,’’ Isamotu said.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Osun, as at Thursday, May 28 has recorded 44 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 35 of them treated and discharged, five currently receiving treatment at the isolation centre and four deaths according to data from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

Cleric focuses sermon on indecent dressing by woman, social-distancing in prayer

Published

on

A cleric in Dutse, Jigawa, Imam Baba Waziri, on Sunday focused his Eid-el-Fitri sermon on indecent dressing among Muslim women, especially those working in public places.

Waziri also encouraged all Muslims to comply with social distancing in prayer, in line with the government advice and NCDC’s guidelines in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.

The Imam, who led the Eid prayer at the Tatur Adua in the Commercial Secondary School, Tatur side in Dutse, cautioned Muslim women to fear God and His chastisement against violating the commandments.

Waziri said Islam is a complete way of life and doesn’t support women, irrespective of their status, to dress indecently.

He said that Islam encourages women to always wear Hijab that would cover the whole body, noting that women’s body is not meant for the public show but for their spouses.

On social distances in prayer, the Imam said it was Islamic that those who are infected by any infectious diseases are not allowed to mix with others in prayers, whether in the Mosque or any other social gathering place.

He also called on Nigerians to avoid spreading fake news capable of causing civil unrest in the society on social media.

Instead of spreading fake news, he urged people to engage in prayers for the wellbeing of the country and to overcome the challenges of COVID-19 pandemic.

The Imam said that it was duty bond on every Muslim to comply with the government regulations in the fight against the novel coronavirus disease.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that early morning rainfall, however, prevented the Chief Imam of Dutse, Dr Abubakar Sani, from leading the prayer at the state Eid praying ground.

The Imam, instead led the prayer inside the Central Mosque with the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Umar Namadi and other residents in attendance.

In his sermon, Sani urged Muslims to comply with the government guidelines in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.

The Imam appealed to Nigerians to pray for country to get out of the pandemic.

NAN reports that the state government had directed all Muslim residents to observe their Eid prayer in their respective localities as against the traditional congregational Eid praying grounds across the state.

Muslims in Duste had complied with the government directives in observing the Eid prayers in their various localities.

Majority of the faithful were seen wearing face masks as instructed by the government while in the praying ground

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also