Ikeja, March 11, 2019 A woman, Amarachi Ogbuchi, who allegedly defrauded one Mr Ikechukwu Onuoha of N1.1 million over Qatar Visa, was on Monday arraigned before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court, on a three-count charge.
Ogbuchi, 37, who claimed to be a travel agent, allegedly duped Onuoha on the pretext of procuring a Qatar visa for him.
According to the Prosecutor, Insp. Benson Emuerhi, the defendant, whose address was not given, committed the offence sometime in January 2017 at Alaje Avenue, Graceland Estate in Egbeda, Lagos.
Emuerhi said that the defendant collected N1.1 million from the complainant ( Onuoha) with a promise to procure a Qatar visa for him but didn’t.
“The defendant collected the money and failed to get the visa; she converted the money to her personal use, and absconded to an unknown destination,’’ he said.
The prosecutor said that when the complainant asked for his money, the defendant threatened his life and blocked his phone number.
Emuerhi said that the offences contravened Sections 287, 314 and 360 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 prescribes three years’ imprisonment for stealing.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the counts of fraud, forgery and stealing.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olufunke Sule-Amzat, granted her bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Sule-Amzat ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until May 2 for mention.
- Bayelsa Poll: NGO decries tense political atmosphere, sues for restraint
- Adamawa government sacks polytechnic staff
- Bishop commends Gov. El-Rufai for stopping demolition of 110-year-old Church
- Trump open to deal with democrats over Obama’s DACA programme
- Minister tasks Defence Attachés on new security challenges
- 25th Anniversary: Sweet Sensation will improve on ‘Feeding the Hungry’ programme, says MD
- NYSC appeals to Kano State Govt over dilapidated orientation camp road
- Police Commission deploys 45 monitors for Kogi, Bayelsa elections
- Russia, Somalia recommit to jointly combating terrorism – Foreign ministry
- Gombe assembly impeaches deputy speaker
- CONMESS: COOUTH doctors have no need to embark on strike — Anambra Govt
- Fire guts a section of Niger Government House
- Ogun : Road traffic crashes claim 301 lives in 10 months – FRSC
- Rivers: Youth Leader wants probe of 28 NDDC contracts abandoned in Andoni LGA
- Regular training remains critical to Nigerian Army’s constitutional role–Buratai
- Senate appeals to FG to ban importation of textile for 5 years
- Expert cautions women on choice of Brassiers
- Man, 34, jailed six months in Osun for theft, assault
- Reps call for policies to facilitate investments in gold mining
- NGO tasks communities on intercultural, interreligious harmony