Ikeja, March 11, 2019 A woman, Amarachi Ogbuchi, who allegedly defrauded one Mr Ikechukwu Onuoha of N1.1 million over Qatar Visa, was on Monday arraigned before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court, on a three-count charge.
Ogbuchi, 37, who claimed to be a travel agent, allegedly duped Onuoha on the pretext of procuring a Qatar visa for him.
According to the Prosecutor, Insp. Benson Emuerhi, the defendant, whose address was not given, committed the offence sometime in January 2017 at Alaje Avenue, Graceland Estate in Egbeda, Lagos.
Emuerhi said that the defendant collected N1.1 million from the complainant ( Onuoha) with a promise to procure a Qatar visa for him but didn’t.
“The defendant collected the money and failed to get the visa; she converted the money to her personal use, and absconded to an unknown destination,’’ he said.
The prosecutor said that when the complainant asked for his money, the defendant threatened his life and blocked his phone number.
Emuerhi said that the offences contravened Sections 287, 314 and 360 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 prescribes three years’ imprisonment for stealing.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the counts of fraud, forgery and stealing.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olufunke Sule-Amzat, granted her bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Sule-Amzat ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until May 2 for mention.
- S. Africa reports more COVID-19 cases as country prepares to ease lockdown
- Mongolia meets all requirements to be removed from FATF “grey list”: finance minister
- Russian COVID-19 cases climb over 380,000
- Vietnam to import live pigs for first time against domestic price hike
- Thailand’s Pattaya beaches to reopen under social distancing rules
- Thai-styled massage parlors, spa parlors, beauty salons, fitness centers in Thailand to reopen
- Australia remains “on track” in fight against COVID-19: PM
- Ex-CBN director lauds MPC over interest rate reduction
- Fitch grades Mongolia’s rating at B with stable outlook
- OPEC daily basket price stands at 28.45 USD per barrel
- Nigerian troops rescue 241 Boko Haram captives in NE state
- Thailand to further ease restrictions, shorten curfew hours
- Kyrgyzstan adds 68 COVID-19 cases, total at 1,662
- S.Korea to push for import of remdesivir as treatment for COVID-19
- LASG seeks professional bodies’ collaboration to stop building collapse
- Group tasks NASS leadership on full implementation of `revised condition of service’
- COVID-19 positive cases rise to 13,659 in Afghanistan
- Playing to an empty room: Paris orchestra plays Strauss in COVID-19 era
- Uzbekistan’s Tashkent witnesses high temperature weather
- Indian researchers attribute mass mortality of bats to heatstroke