Ado-Ekiti, April 16, 2019 A 34-year-old housewife, Dolapo Oluwafunmilola, on Tuesday appeared in an Ado-Ekiti Magistrates’ Court for allegedly hitting a nine-year-old girl with burning firewood in the mouth.
The police charged Oluwafunmilola, whose address was not provided with assault.
The Prosecution Counsel, Insp Caleb Leramo, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on April 12 at Ilupeju Avenue area in Ado-Ekiti.
He said that the victim who is an orphan, was maltreated by the defendant.
Leramo said that the defendant hit the girl with burning firewood in the mouth, causing burns on her chest .
He noted that the offence contravened the provisions of Section 338 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.
The prosecutor asked for an adjournment to enable him study the case file and present his witnesses.
The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Head of Litigation, Mrs Bolanle Ojo, was in court to represent and witness the brief for the nominal complainant.
The defendant pleaded not guilty.
Her counsel, Mr Chris Omokhafe, urged the court to grant her bail, with a promise that she would not jump bail.
The Magistrate, Mrs Taiwo Ajibade, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N50,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Ajibade adjourned the case until May 6 for hearing.
edited by Kamal Tayo Oropo/Sadiya Hamza
- Gas flaring: Reps c’ttees to investigate impact, ensure compliance of laws
- Turbulence for France’s Macron: hospitals strike, students protest
- Senate to carry out investigative hearing on child trafficking
- We lost over 300 hectares of rice farm to flood in Delta – Farmer
- Czech Republic to summon Russian ambassador over NGO classification
- Gov. Buni presents N108bn budget for 2020
- UNICEF/HiLWA advocates girl-child education in northern Nigeria
- NASC takes seed awareness campaign to secondary schools
- Scavenger bags 3 years’ imprisonment for stealing N9m cables
- 4th Industrial Revolution: Stakeholders list strategies to raise Nigeria’s potential
- Why we are interested in Bayelsa election – US
- Senate stands down bill on inauguration of NASS
- Aluminium fabricator docked for allegedly defrauding client of N964,000
- 3 sentenced to death for kidnapping traditional ruler, killing palace guard
- Another Dickson’s aide resigns
- Reps. make case for Osun aquaculture centre
- Court admits witness statement in trial of Atiku’s son-in-law, Babalele
- Edo Assembly confirms Chief Judge designate
- 17 black rhinos relocated from South Africa to Malawi
- No fewer than 10,000 Austrian homes without electricity after heavy snowfall