The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has called for improved safety for Nigerian children, as the world marks the 2019 World Civil Defence Day.
The NSSDC Commandant General , Mr Abdullahi Gana, made the call in a statement in Abuja on Friday.
He said the need for children safety became imperative especially during social conflicts and natural disasters.
Gana said this year’s commemoration themed: ‘Children’s Safety, Our Responsibility’, had prompted the call on all Nigerians to ensure not to make their children endangered species.
“They are urged to launch and continue their work with educational and cultural authorities to raise awareness among children in order to reduce risks of all kinds and causes.
“Children’s lives and safety should be at the forefront of concern in the minds of all Nigerians.
“It is therefore regrettable to see the heaviest and most anguishing price for instability and non-safety paid by the children circle more than any other age segment in a given society
“Latest statistics indicates a domination of young kids in the number of dead and wounded persons among casualties during conflicts and natural disasters,” he said.
He said the NSCDC was prepared to develop permanent prevention programs to raise the level of awareness and reduce the level of casualties and victims among children.
Edited by Julius Toba-Jegede
- Group seeks end to age-limit for women seeking assisted reproduction technology in Lagos
- Group honours Niger citizens killed in violence
- Don’t expose your children to cold during rainy season, Paediatrician warns parents
- ICPC investigating cases of COVID-19 fraud — official
- APC distributes palliatives to indigents, vulnerable in Ebonyi
- Court convicts 24 motorists in Imo for violating COVID-19 guidelines
- Thai-Malaysian border shuts again after reports of new COVID-19 cases
- Africa’s COVID-19 cases hit 123,000 – WHO
- COVID-19: Katsina builds 722-bed capacity isolation centres – Masari
- Old students donate N1m to Plateau COVID-19 fund
- COVID-19: NHIS donates PPE to Police
- Revised 2020 budget: Buhari seeks Senate approval for $5.513bn external loans
- Rwandan top genocide fugitive gets life sentence
- English Premier League to restart on June 17
- I-G orders deployment of 11 CPs to states, formations
- Abacha Loot III: Ministry of Justice opens technical bid for implementation monitoring
- Somalia confirms 97 new COVID-19 cases as tally hits 1,828
- One in two Germans regards electric scooters on public roads as “distraction”: survey
- We did not ask Adesina to step down for probe —- AfDB shareholders forum
- Mali COVID-19 cases reach 1,194 as 78 more recorded