The Institut français du Nigéria on Saturday hosted the musical concert to celebrate this year’s World Music Day in Nigeria.
Mr Arnaud Dornor, the Director of the French Cultural Centre, in his address at the event, said that the celebration was designed to strengthen relations with Nigeria.
The World Music Day, “Fête de la musique, in French”, is an annual music celebration that takes place globally on 21st of June, every year.
According to him, on this Day, the citizens of a city or country are allowed and urged to play music outside in their neighborhoods or in public spaces and parks.
“We decided to organise free concerts whereby musicians play for fun and not for payment.
“The first all-day musical celebration on day of the summer solstice originated by the French Minister of Culture, Jack Lang and Maurice Fleuret, and was first celebrated in Paris in 1982.
“The day is now celebrated in over 120 countries around the world; this year, the Institut français du Nigéria decided to put spotlight on electronic music, inviting the French DJ Praktika.
“He has been living in West Africa; Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and now Mali, for five years, which explains the breadth and originality of his music style.
“He infuses African tones into his electronic productions, and the result is definitely worth it,” Dornor said.
The director assured that France would continue to come up with measures to strengthen ties with Nigeria through its diverse cultures and values.
He described Nigeria as an important country in Africa and that France would work to develop cooperation in all fields, including the field of music and culture.
He noted that the efforts would build and strengthen relations with actors and stakeholders within the music sector.
The event featured live display of talking drums and other instruments, as well as two-hour DJ set by Praktika at the Institut.
The concert attracted people from all works of life to musical dance session with live music performances by local and international artistes.
Edited by Muhammad Suleiman Tola
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections