Zakat : Hadejia Emirate distributes N4.3m grains to 2,349 under-privileged
By Nabilu Balarabe
Hadejia (Jigawa), Feb. 11,2019 (NNN) The Hadejia Emirate Council’s Zakat Committee in Jigawa has distributed grains worth N4.3 million to 2,349 under- privileged in Marke, Guri and Dumadumin-Toka districts, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
A member of the committee and Chief Imam of Hadejia Central Mosque, Sheikh Yusif Abdulrahman, disclosed this to NNN in Hadejia on Monday.
NNN reports that the Zakat, which is a compulsory tax in Islam paid annually on farm produce, livestock and cash that attain certain percentage of growth.
Abdulrahman said the grains distributed to the needy included maize, sorghum and millet.
“Zakat on grains is an annual exercise in which farmers, who harvest a certain quantity of grains, are expected to give a percentage of it to the downtrodden.
“ The produce generated from the farmers are normally stocked at the residence of either the ward head or the village head, and the committee will later go round and distribute them to the needy in that area,” he said.
According to him, Out of the 501 bags of grains distributed, 218 bags were distributed to 1,218 persons in Guri, 174 bags shared to 592 persons in Marke, while 539 persons got 109 bags in Dumadumin-Toka.
The cleric, therefore, called on large scale farmers and other wealthy individuals to fear God and ensure that they give out of Zakat as at when due.
NNN reports that Zakat is one of the five pillars of Islam and is meant to purify the wealth endowed to one by Allah, and assist the needy overcome some of their challenges. (NNN)
Edited by Halima Sheji/Maharazu Ahmed
- Sabre researcher says tourism revenue in Africa Could Increase by 27%
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC