The Nigerian Army side, who emerged overall winners at the Zaria zonal phases of the league, once again reminded their opponents why they had so far been unbeaten.
The first quarter of Wednesday’s game against the Hurricanes was a close contest but Nigerian Army edged their Jalingo-based opponents by 16-15 points.
It was, however, in the second quarter that the Army ladies started causing the Hurricanes all sorts of trouble to take the quarter 14-3.
The fluidity in the play of the Army team was particularly reflected in the understanding forged among Stephy Akpomejiro, Mercy Elawure and Zainab Abdulganiy.
Akpomejiro kept sending in the long balls and making marauding moves into the opponents’ area, while Elawure and Abdulganiy combined to score the points.
Iyabo Raheem too was spectacular, especially with the three-pointers, to add 10 more points in the third quarter.
And although Taraba Hurricanes attempted a resurgence in the final quarter, with Gloria Omale and Jane Alabi asking questions of their opponents’ defence, it was too little too late.
There was no hope for a comeback, as Nigerian Army held firmly to their lead and capped their impressive performance with a 73-40 points victory.
Coach Ahmadu Abbah of Taraba Hurricanes was quick to admit after the game that his team would have to improve on their ball retention, defence and movement in subsequent games.
He also expressed optimism about his team’s chances of a place in the National Eight.
In spite of their unbeaten run, Nigerian Army captain, Sarah Al-Hassan, played down their performance, stating that their real test was yet to come in the league.
“We are taking it one game at a time and we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. Our real challenge will come when we meet the giants,” she said.
(Edited by Dianabasi Effiong and Olawale Alabi)
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts