The Deputy Comptroller of Customs and Coordinator of the Strike Force, Baba Kolobe, said this on Wednesday while addressing journalists on the zone’s score card for the month.
Kolobe said that the Comptroller General of Nigerian Customs inaugurated the new special intervention team in May with the mandate of suppressing smuggling in the zone.
He said the zone recorded seizures in June and July.
He said that 5,679 bags of smuggled 50kg foreign parboiled rice were seized during the period.
“We were also able to confiscate smuggled bales of about 1,953 second hand clothing, 1,095 jerry cans of 25 litres vegetable oil and 39 vehicles which where all smuggled through the land borders,” he said.
Kolobe advised the public to conduct their businesses within the ambit of the law.
According to him, the NCS has renewed its commitment and will not relent in its efforts at ensuring that smugglers are arrested and prosecuted.
He called on stakeholders and the media to partner with the service to make Nigeria better for industrialisation and youth employment.
Kolobe expressed gratitude to the comptroller general for providing logistics and operational vehicles to enable them discharge their mandate.
- Turkey removes 4 more Kurdish mayors over alleged terror links
- NGOs train stakeholders on promotion of child rights in Kebbi schools
- First public hearings in impeachment enquiry against Trump to start
- Suspected suicide bomber attacks Indonesia police station
- 70 people killed in Guinea ahead of 2020 presidential polls – Report
- Journalist, Egbejule explores the 1998 ‘Jesse Pipeline’ explosion in gripping new film
- Oil falls as U.S.-China trade deal prospects dim
- Lalong establishes result delivery office to implement devt strategies
- Pakistan’s opposition to ramp up protests to force out PM Imran Khan
- Global oil demand growth to slow from 2025 – IEA
- Tokyo 2020: Olympic Eagles bounce back to reckoning
- Sabre researcher says tourism revenue in Africa Could Increase by 27%
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes