Host communities of the Zungeru Hydro dam in Wushishi Local Government Area of Niger on Thursday blocked the Zungeru-Tegina-Kontagora highway to protest the deplorable state of the road and lack of other basic amenities in the area.
The protesters, who carried placards with various inscriptions such as “We are suffering because of bad roads’ and ‘Power state without power’ vowed to continue their protest until their demands were met.
The state youth leader, Bello Shariff, who led the protest said the host communities had suffered untold hardship due to the bad state of roads.
“We appreciate the commitment of His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari towards the completion of the Zungeru Dam project inherited from his predecessor having considered its economic and social violability to the state, Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
“We are aware that the financing facility for the construction of the Zungeru Dam is to cover for the rebuilding and as well converting them to reinforced concrete highways for these major route – Bida – Lemu – Wushishi-Zungeru and Zungeru-Tagina – Kontagora Road to withstand the conveying of heavy equipment’s to the dam site.
“Our communities and source of livelihood have been exposed to untold hardship due to the decaying roads.
“This is caused by serious traffic of heavy trucks conveying equipment to Dam site resulting to daily loss of lives, loss of man hours affecting business and economic activities and difficulty to convey agricultural outputs to the market by the predominate farmers in the communities,” he added.
He called on the state government to intervene and get Syno Hydro, the company handling the construction of the dam to live up to its corporate social responsibility in the area.
NAN reports that the state Deputy Gov. Ahmed Ketso, arrived the scene of the protest hours later and pleaded with the protesters to show understanding.
Ketso stated that the Gov. Abubakar Bello was currently in Abuja to get the Federal Government to intervene on the issue.
Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears
- NAN correspondent gets accolades for sponsoring soccer tournament
- ECOWAS Presidents to meet on single currency regime Dec. 21
- FGGC Yola old students seek unity among children
- FEATURE: Gender-Based Violence: Do men suffer same?
- Nasarawa grassroots sports: Ezhiba defeat Alashe in competition organised by NAN Correspondent
- SWOFON commends women farmers’ successes in spite of challenges
- New Ondo IPAC chairman promises to build trust among members
- Education remains potent weapon to reduce unemployment -Buhari
- LG poll: ADSIEC Chairman expresses concern over low turnout of voters
- Experts outline ways to fund Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit through capital market
- Minister tasks Nigerians on regular exercise for healthy living
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Tallen gives N250, 000 cash prize to best UniJos graduating female students, to support 200 indigent ones with N4m
- Christmas: Enugu residents opt for de-stoned local rice as price of imported variant soars
- Xmas : SWAN donates cloths, food, celebrates with orphans
- Fair approach to governance sure guarantee for democratic stability – Gov. Tambuwal
- Ex-Chief of Army staff urges women, girls to acquire skills
- 981 Kogi teachers write professional exam
- Lagos-Ibadan rail project: NASS Joint C’ttee inspects, expresses satisfaction
- Provost hails Buhari for support to Ebonyi Federal Agric College
- NAN Correspondent organises unity football competition to boost unity in Nasarawa state
- Buhari condoles with UAE president over brother’s death
- Nigeria retains 95,000 slots for pilgrims in 2020 hajj – NAHCON
- NGO treks 3km to create awareness against sexual violence, women trafficking
- Residents of Ajeromi-Ifelodun LGA commend Nigeria Navy, Pakistan Navy medical collaboration
- Ajanaku, a great politician, democrat – Buhari
- Ekiti LG poll witnesses low turnout
- Buratai inaugurates multi-million Naira projects in Depot, NMS
- Christmas Carol: Naval officers,NOWA pray for Nigeria, leadership, Armed Forces
- Anambra Sports Development Commission tasks public on regular exercise
- Lack of synergy responsible for Nigeria’s loss at IMO council election – operators
- Gov. Abiodun appoints Chokor Head of Service
- NTIC students donate Christmas gifts to sick children at LASUTH
- RIFAN recovers N35m CBN ABP loan in Niger
- Lekki residents protest against proposed location of 5-storey school building in residential estate
- Lawmaker urges waste managers to ensure cleaner Lagos
- Army conducts free medical outreach in 3 Enugu communities
- Wabote lists benefits of NLNG Train 7
- Group seeks participation of more women in farming
- Aguleri community builds unity centre worth N150m
- Eye centre performs 900 operations in 12 months
- Transport strikes continue in France amid fresh lorry blockades
- IPPIS: NECA urges FG, ASUU to initiate industrial relations process to resolve disagreement
- Former head of state, Abdulsalami underscores importance of traditional institutions
- UniJos graduates 11, 431 students, 74 first class, 97 PhDs
- Institute concludes environmental impact survey of Lagos, makes recommendations
- Sowore: Rights commission urges law enforcement officials to respect law